Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

TMJ aggravated by retainer ?

I've had TMJ for a long time now, I underwent braces treatment for over a year, and got them off about 7 months ago. Now I have a problem with my retainer re-aggravating the TMJ pain on a daily basis. I initially had the hawley, metal retainer but that made it unbearable and I got an invisalign style plastic retainer for my top and bottom teeth.

Basically, I have to wear the retainers on a daily basis or I notice the teeth start to shift which causes its own kind of TMJ pain and discomfort, however when wearing the retainer, especially the top one, I aggravate the pain.. I can wear the top retainer for literally 5 minutes and it will aggravate my TMJ joints, pretty severely, to the point of where I will go from having no clicking and popping to having it for at least a few hours after removing the top retainer.

I have tried different methods of wearing the retainers, sometimes not wearing them at all at night (just for a few hours during the day), now I just wear the bottom one sometimes at night and only wear the top one during the day, for a few hours, since it is almost debilitating to me if I wear it at night with the TMJ flareups it causes.

I am wondering if anyone else experiences this sort of catch 22 cycle... I just saw someone on here mention the myofascial trigger points so I am giving that a shot to see if I can help this, would appreciate any advice / info.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 16th, 2012
Tmj aggravated by retainer
Yes. I am experiencing the same thing. That is why I eat soft foods the day after I wear the retainer, which I wear only at night several times a week.
|

replied November 5th, 2015
I am experiencing the same thing! I'm 14 years old and got my braces off 6 months ago. Since then my jaw has clicked and now it actually causes pain. Did you ever find out if wearing the retainer was the problem? Did you ever find a solution? Thank you
|