Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > TMJ Forum

TMJ after wisdom tooth extraction

Well around 6 months ago I had my wisdom teeth pulled, all 4 at the same time. After awhile I began noticing sharp pains in my upper back jaw while biting down hard or resting my head on things. I went to my doctor and he diagnosed me with TMJ but said I would need to go to an oral surgeon for treatment. Now here is the problem, because I had my wisdom teeth pulled all of my dental is used up for the year, and because I'll be turning 23 come my birthday so I will no longer be covered on my parents healthcare plan. My question is whether or not I'm entitled to some sort of compensation for what happened, or is it a total coincidence that it occurred after my wisdom teeth were pulled.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 21st, 2009
TMJ covers a wide range of areas. When having your wisdom teeth removed the doctors would have had to stretch your jaw quite wide, which definitely would have upset the muscles in the area. Where exactly is the pain that your feeling? Is it in the joint itself or does it feel more muscular?
Wisdom teeth removal is what initially caused my TMJ, but I wasn't diagnosed for four years, and after that amount of time the damage had been done.
If the pain feels more muscular, some helpful hints would be to rest your jaw as much as possible, eat only soft foods, use heat/ice packs and massage your face.
Does your jaw lock at all? (either closed or open)
I don't think you'll be able to claim any compensation, but are you able to go back to the surgeon who removed your wisdom teeth for a consult? Some physio/physical therapists can also recommend some good jaw exercises to help strangthen the muscles.
|

replied September 21st, 2009
Its in the joint. I really only acts up a lot at night and has only caused me eating issues once so far. Basically it feels like when Im putting strain on that side of my jaw it creates sharp pains so unless its really flared up I can eat with one side of my mouth(and look fairly ridiculous doing it).k
|

replied September 24th, 2009
Check because TMJ is a medical problem and not a dental issue.
|