User Profile
Hello, 3 weeks ago I started my new job where I need to use the computer more than 8 hours a day. Since I start my work the muscle below my right eye shakes very often. My vision is fine and I don't use any glass. What can I do to prevent this?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2010
Vision and Eye Disorders Answer A13588

The symptom you reported (eye muscle twitch, working in front of computer for more than 8 hours) is most likely due to tiredness of the eyes. The eyes might be tired because of factors related to the environment or the health condition of the eye itself.

When there is a refractory dysfunction of the eye (nearsightedness, farsightedness, astigmatism), the muscles located in the eye and responsible for focusing might be tired. This might also reflex in the muscles around the eye ball.

When the light is not adequate (dim light) or the eye is exposed to less light for longer periods while working (reading or watching at small pieces), the eye muscles have to tune the position of the eyeball all the time. This causes the eye muscles to be tired. In those cases the muscles of the eyelids start to twitch due to the same reflex mechanism as described before.

You might want to visit an ophthalmologist for a physical examination and a vision examination to check for any refractory problems. If none are detected, you might simply check whether the light is enough in your working area. Try to close your eyes and relax at least once every half an hour. This would relax the eye muscles and the muscles of the eyelids.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
What is pink eye and how long is pink eye contagious? Basic facts on types of conjunctivitis and pink eye here....
Pink eye can be allergic, infectious or chemical. Details about what causes pink eye here....
What to do for pink eye? Learn to identify symptoms of pink eye first, and know when to seek medical help. Start understanding more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vision and Eye Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.