Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Tiredness after meals - had a blood test - Doctor was dismissive

Hi,

I've been having problems with tiredness for about 6 months. This can range from feeling a little tired, to being almost unable to stand up and if I lie down then I fall asleep instantly and can stay there for hours. I can also feel flustered, light-headed, dizzy and sometimes get headaches. The stranger thing about all this is it almost always occurs after dinner, at around 12, 1, 2 or early afternoon.

I went to the Doctors last week for a blood test. The results came back and show that I had low glucose levels (65 mg/dL) but nothing else showed abnormal results.

The doctor's advice was that I eat more sugar and eat more often and come back in February for another test. I directly asked if this could be diabetes or anything similar and she said no; and added that if it were something like that we'd see the opposite (high blood sugar).

I then took a quick look on the internet and it didn't take long to come to the condition Hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia, where too much insulin is produced after consuming food and therefore blood sugar drops dramatically a while after eating (fitting exactly with my experience).

I've looked on the result sheet of my analysis and I can't see anywhere that insulin levels where tested.

I'm rather confused as to what to do. Does my Doctor simply know better than I do?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2013
Hi,

You are right. The symptoms you are referring to are related to post-prandial hypoglycemia, overproduction of insulin after eating. It is not diabetes.

You are also right in asking for measuring insulin levels when insulinoma (a tumor of pancreas) is doubted. As your doctor did not asked for that test, it means that there is no clinical evidence for that disease.

However, you can ask your doctor to measure insulin levels to exclude insulinoma.

Hope it helped!

Simple Steps to Beating Diabetes Naturally
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Its considered as normal for non diabetic.
I would suggest you C peptide level and thyroid function tests.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.