User Profile
I have been smoking marijuana since i was 16 and im now 20 and really getting tired of being on the stuff, would like to know if any one has any good helpfull tips on quiting full stop? i know things like motavating myself like going to the gym would help to take my mind of it, but its even harder because my friends smoke it.

any suggestions? many thanks! wave
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kookie88
|

replied May 11th, 2011
I feel for you, it is very common among marijuana users to have difficulties quitting the drug because it often seems like a major lifestyle change. All of my closest friends smoked pot for most of their adult life, many still do and that has made things very difficult for me.
There are a few things I have found helpful:
The first week or two after quitting are the most difficult, with the desire to relapse being the strongest. Marijuana does often produce very debilitating withdrawal symptoms when you stop using, but these DO go away in time. I found it valuable to be aware ahead of time of the symptoms you may encounter, in order to be better prepared for them. I have relapsed many times during withdrawal phase just to alleviate those symptoms.
You don't have to give up on any of your friends just because they smoke pot and you don't want to be around that temptation. Its important to be honest with them about your desire to quit so that they may be supportive or at the very least they will be less inclined to push weed in your face.
Exercise is very important when quitting, the endorphins released from vigorous exercise give you a natural high that can help take the edge off of your desire to relapse.
Motivation can be an issue with exercise, as you mentioned. What I have found to be effective is to find a sport or some form of exercise that you enjoy, working out at the gym can really be a grind if it's not your thing.
It may also be important to avoid the places you most associate with pot use during the early, most vulnerable stages of quitting. I smoke at my apartment so when I was first quitting I got a bicycle so I could ride around aimlessly and keep my mind off of pot. If I just stayed home I would frequently obsess about how I could justify getting high just "one more time."
Just a few thoughts, I hope they help
|
Users who thank mikehoncho for this post: atomik2011 

User Profile
replied May 12th, 2011
thanks for the advice mike! some good advice there! im going to give it ago at quiting, see how things go from there, hopefully then il be feeling alot more socialble and less paranoid about nothing! wish me luck! thanks mate
|

replied May 12th, 2011
its not easy i know...u should avoid ur friends for a while and that will help. take it day by day. Go out there and try something new and fun! its summer! being outside and active is the best. Make new friends.
|
Users who thank kookie88 for this post: atomik2011 

replied May 13th, 2011
Just to follow up, I too am in them midst of quitting right now so I know some of the difficulties of quitting. This is probably the tenth or eleventh try for me this year, but I finally know that I have a handle on it this time. For me the first two days are by far the hardest and things start to get a little easier after that.
I am on day four of being clean and while I am experiencing some negative effects of withdrawal I find it very important to focus on the positive aspects. For example, I am starting to dream again, which is something that heavy marijuana users often lose the ability to do. Often the first two weeks of quitting are filled with intense vivid dreams, and as long as I dont have nightmares they can be pretty enjoyable.
Also I am feeling a general sense of regaining control of my life, and I am regaining the desire to read and learn, where previous I would waste days playing video games because I was too high to do much else.
A lot of times we get so used to being high that we get the illusion that it doesnt impair our ability to function in various tasks, but I am noticing that I am a lot less clumsy and more focused.
For me quitting is the easy part, the hard part is staying clean so it is important early on to take note of why life is more enjoyable without pot, because months out from quitting it is easy to get in the mindset that maybe you can reintroduce pot into your life and it will be less of a problem than before.
One tip that I found useful was to take the money you would normally spend on pot and reward yourself with something, that way you have an added incentive to stay clean.
Sometimes it is just helpful to be able to talk to someone about what you are experiencing to help vent some of the stress of making such a big life change, so if you or anyone would like to talk to someone about what you are going through I am always willing to listen. Nothing makes me more happy than being able to help other people, so feel free to post a reply anytime and I will respond.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....