Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Sexually Transmitted Diseases Forum

tiny red bumps on my pubic and genital area?

Must Read
Chlamydia is the most common STD in the U.S. Learn how this potentially serious sexually transmitted disease is spread so you can protect yourself....
Learn more about the germ that causes this sexually transmitted infection (STI) and evaluate whether or not you are at high risk of getting chlamydia here....
Left untreated, chlamydia can cause serious complications such as infertility. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of chlamydia here to prevent illness....
User Profile
I have tiny red bumps on my pubic and genital area, they do not itch, but are raised bumps. Its making worried , since i had unprotected sex with my girlfriend of 2 years so i dont think its a STD, what could it be?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied June 22nd, 2012
Sexually Transmitted Diseases Answer A36327
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Well, if both you and your girlfriend have not had previous partners, then yes STD is more or less ruled out. However, it can be a bacterial or fungal infection. Usually there is pain in bacterial infection and itch in fungal one..

Other possibility is that the bumps could be pearly white papules. Though the name suggests that they are white, most are flesh colored. They are small lumps of roughly the same size and shape. They are in a row around the margin of the head of the penis, and can be seen when the foreskin is pulled back. Also these can be present along the shaft and base of penis. They disappear with age and need no treatment. They should not be pricked as they can get infected this way.

They could also be Fordyce spots. These are dilated blood vessels covered with skin and can heal on their own. At times if they persist they are treated by CO2 laser or electro desiccation, TCA chemical peels (temporary treatment), diathermy or laser vaporization.

The third possibility is blocked sebaceous glands. These too often open up on their own. At times may need drainage. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined as a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexually Transmitted Diseases , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.