Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

tingling sensation and sensitivity due to frost nip?

User Profile
7 days ago I was out in very cold weather for approx 6-7 hours without adequate clothing. My feet were very cold and turning blue. I rewarmed them with blankets and they returned to a normal color. About 2-3 days later I started to get a tingling sensation and numbness in my feet that also extends up my lower leg. The sensation is not painful but it is constant. My feet also feel cold when I'm in a room temperature room. I have also run cold (i.e. cold hands when others feel fine) but it seems my feet are now more sensitive to the cold then before. I believe I had frostnip on my feet 7 days ago. My question is the tingling sensation and sensitivity to the cold a result of the frostnip and if so is it permanent or temporary? If temporary, how long usually before it goes away?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 14th, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

Frostbite is damage to the skin and underlying tissues caused by extreme cold. Frostbite is the most common freezing injury.

Frostbite may affect any part of the body. The hands, feet, nose, and ears are the places most prone to the problem. Commonly it is classified as either superficial or deep frostbite.

The severity of damage and possibility of recovery depends if the blood vessels have been affected.

Complete recovery is possible only in cases of superficial frostbite, where the blood flow is intact. In worst cases, where the blood vessels are damaged, as in Deep Frostbite cases, the damage is permanent and amputation may be required in cases where gangrene has set in.

In your case, it is likely that you had superficial frostbite. There is a high possibility that you will recover within a few weeks, but it is possible that some symptoms like pain, numbness and stiffness can persist in the affected areas.

Medications like advil or tylenol can be helpful to treat the pain. In case of any doubts, it would be recommended to consult a doctor for proper advice.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Skin , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.