Medical Questions > Mental Health > Panic Attacks Forum

Tingling in hands and cheeks

User Profile
tingling in hands/face

Lately i have been getting a tingling feeling in my hands and my cheeks. it typically happens when i get hot, however i also have a huge phobia of throwing up and whenever i think i might get sick i immediatley also get this tingling feeling. it can last from 5 minutes to hours just depending on the situation. I was just wondering if there is anytihng to do for this and what exactly is causing it or if its just all in my head and im creating these problems from nothing.

p.s. i'm a 20 year old female and in pretty good health

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 7th, 2011
Panic Attacks Answer A20501
Hello.

Anxiety is a state of mind and body in which the sympathetic nervous system goes into an overdrive. The tingling you feel is most probably part of anxiety. A phobia of throwing up is typically associated with anxiety states.

You can try breathing into a paper bag. This is also referred to as re-breathing, a way to counter the effects of anxiety and over-breathing. This leads to increased carbon dioxide levels and reduce the anxiety associated hyperventilation (over-breathing).

Apart from this simple measure, you can visit your GP and seek professional help for any anxiety issues you might want to address.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD

(This post is for the purpose of providing medical information and is not a substitute for a face-to-face consultation with a doctor. This post is not intended to give or rule out a diagnosis, create a doctor-patient relationship or replace an existing one. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please consult with your doctor or a qualified healthcare provider for diagnosis and treatment options)

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Panic Attacks , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.