Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Stroke Forum

Time to recover swallowing after a stroke

My Grandfather had a stoke 6 days ago. He is 82 and he is mostly paralyzed on his right side. He cannot swallow yet and he now has a feeding tube. What is the time range that stoke patients recover their swallowing? Does he still have a chance to regain his swallowing muscles or will he have a feeding tube forever?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper AshCat12
|

replied August 16th, 2010
I'm 32 and had a hemorraghic stroke last August. I had a PEG feeding tube which has since been removed. In rehab, I was on all the modified diets like pureed and thick liquids (ugh); Over time and with the help of speech therapy, I now can eat and drink anything and am no longer an aspiration risk.

So he probably needs time, patience and speech therapy, But the body is amazing- it can heal!
|

replied November 4th, 2011
My father had a stoke 2 years days ago. He is 62 and he is mostly paralyzed on his left side. But now again stroke slightly come in He cannot swallow now and he now has a feeding tube. What is the time range that stoke patients recover their swallowing? Does he still have a chance to regain his swallowing muscles or will he have a feeding tube forever?
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....