User Profile
I've suffered with sinus problems for years. I've been having a lot of post nasal drip at night lately, and it makes my stomach feel sick sometimes. Today it has affected my throat. It now feels tight, like there is a lump in my throat or a bunch of mucus, but I can't really cough anything up. Everytime I swallow it feels tighter. My saliva feels thick and mucus like. I just need to know what can I do right now to help relieve the discomfort? I've been reading about this on the internet. Said that acid reflux may also be a factor. Took an acid reducer hours ago, no change. I just feel worse now. Happened a few years ago when I was a teen, don't remember how long it took to go away or what worked. I feel just miserable. Please, any advice would be great. I just hate feeling like I'm choking, and the anxiety of it all just makes it worse.
Please, any advice or comments are greatly welcomed.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper notcrzyjstworried
|

replied July 18th, 2010
Ive been dealing with the lump in my throat sensation since the end of April. Anxiety DOES make it worse. acid reducers can take weeks to months to work if it is in fact a reflux thing. Take them anyways - so you can tell a Dr. you tried them & possibly that will get them to investigate further. i had blood panels, xrays of my throat & chest, a CAT scan & a nasal endoscope ..with no findings..that's good news i guess, but my throat still feels very abnormal. I even went to my dentist, he found nothing abnormal. However I am seeing a shrink to see if i can stop be anxious over it. I will NOT completely dismiss the feeling as anxiety, as Ive never felt this before. if you smoke try to quit. I'm giving it a few more weeks & then I'm going back to my ENT Dr. to do another endoscopy (through my mouth this time) - if that shows nothing..I'm opting for an MRI before I let anybody tell me it's all in my head. Try to relax, keep water next to you at all times, as a dry throat & mouth makes the tightness worse feeling. Globus is a very real thing, but is is often misdiagnosed or over diagnosed. When you hear everythings ok from a medical professional, you'll feel better about the whole thing. You aren't alone. The feeling of not being able to swallow is panicking and scarey..You're going to be okay..In my prayers!!
|

User Profile
replied July 18th, 2010
Experienced User
notcrzyjstworried

Thanks so much for the feed back and kindness. I was wondering if anybody felt the same as nobody has answered yet. I do feel that anxiety has a lot to do with it. If I am worried or anxious it seems a lot worse. It's been better lately, only bothering me once in awhile. The a/c seems to make it worse, or if the humidity is really high.

Thanks again for the kindness.
|
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....