Hello everyone, I''ve had a stomach problem for a few years now but my GP can''t find anything wrong with me although he thinks I have Gilberts syndrome. I read about it and I''m not convinced.

I''m male, 26 years old, smoker (wanting to stop), and I do not drink, ever.

Some of my friends tell me it''s stress related because I lost my business and still unemployed and also nearly divorced. I don''t agree with them as the problem started about five years ago before I was married and I had a stable job.

About four years ago my doctor said my eyes were slightly yellow so he sent me to hospital for an ultra sound on my liver to test for Gilberts syndrome. The test showed nothing unusual but my doctor still thinks it''s Gilberts syndrome. Since then my eyes have returned to their normal colour.

Over the years I''ve found that some foods make me worse. Dairy products, vinegar, oranges, apples, beef, lamb, onion. There was a time that I was constantly eating rennie and it did control my symptoms to an extent. The amount I was eating at the time started to worry me and I started taking Pepto-Bismol which also helped. Again I was consuming huge amounts and then I found a Chinese super market where they recommended a natural medicine that is mixed with water. This was the best one but they stopped selling it. I can''t even read the box to search for it on Google.

So to sum it up, I sometimes feel my stomach is tight. Even when I lay in bed I have to hold the covers away from my stomach because they feel heavy. I wake up hungry every day and eat toast for breakfast. I have a sandwich for lunch. Between lunch and dinner I start to feel a bit sick and sometimes can''t face dinner. I know I have to eat properly so sometimes I false myself to eat dinner which doesn''t help. I often get to the point where I start to reach as I''m eating.

I hope some one here can help and thanks for reading, Graham.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2010
Good source for information on Gilbert''s syndrome
Have they done a blood test? Mine was diagnosed with a routine blood test. For years, I thought I just had a fussy stomach (did not tolerate fats well/could have pain for up to 12 hours). It seems that doctors say there''s nothing to this syndrome but the raised bilirubin levels, but it appears that people who have this share some common problems. Good luck trying to uncover the source of your problems. - Sue
|
Users who thank yetiseticat for this post: GrahamLaw 

replied April 30th, 2010
Thanks for the reply. It was because of yellow eyes and high bilirubin that the doctor sent me to hospital for the ultra sound. That scan showed nothing wrong with my liver but my doctor is still convinced. Since then my eyes are very white.

Just recently I feel worse. I've just got out of bed because I feel sick when I lay down. It's 4am now and I've been doing this all week. I have to say though, there's never any pain, just a lot of nausea and hot burning at the top of my stomach.
|

User Profile
replied May 1st, 2010
This is kind of out of the clear blue, but how is your water intake? I don''t think that would have anything to do with whether or not you have Gilbert''s, but may help alleviate the stomach symptoms if you don''t have adequate intake.

Don''t give up...sometimes it takes a while to unravel these types of issues. Once again, not related to Gilbert''s - I found out I''m allergic to soy and intolerant to gluten which caused terrible eczema in addition to digestive issues. Once I eliminated these from my diet, my skin cleared up and the digestive troubles went away. Had gone to a dermatologist, but she only looked at things that affected my skin from the outside. So, my answer came through trial and error.

Also, there are nutritional consequences to taking antacid products over a prolonged period of time as essential vitamins/nutrients can be malabsorbed. You should be able to discuss with a pharmacist, dietician or your doctor.

If my reply is a bit scattered I apologize as I''ve just started to drink my coffee, but wanted to reply to you.
|

replied May 1st, 2010
My fluid intake is quite high I think but it''s mainly black tea. I find juice leaves a burning in my stomach so there''s not much left to drink. I''ve also stopped taking Rennies some time ago.

I''ve also received your PM, thanks for the info, I''ll have a good look.
|

replied July 18th, 2010
Upeer stomach problem...
I am not a doctor but i feel the same and some of the upper stomach problem caused bu Acidity, i would suggest if you could try a glass of cold milk with water(half water and half milk) and sip it slowly and cold, its a home remedy and it really works well... keeping in mind some people get sour throat practicing milk and water... dring this several time a day for few days and observe if there is some relaxation....
works for me and hope it works for you as well...

Adnan
|

replied July 18th, 2010
Upeer stomach problem...
I am not a doctor but i feel the same and some of the upper stomach problem caused bu Acidity, i would suggest if you could try a glass of cold milk with water(half water and half milk) and sip it slowly and cold, its a home remedy and it really works well... keeping in mind some people get sour throat practicing milk and water... dring this several time a day for few days and observe if there is some relaxation....
works for me and hope it works for you as well...

Adnan
|

replied July 25th, 2012
I'm a young female and I'm having nausea, and a Tightness feeling in my mid abdominal area as well as a difficulty breathing after I eat. It's been going on for about 2 days now and I've not eaten more than some toast and some chick peas these past two days. I don't vomit, simply get a very tight feeling in my chest. I've never had a gastric bypass, and I'm not noticing anything else with the same symptoms. I'd rather not go to a doctor so he can prescribe me some ridiculous pill. I'm more of a home-remedy type person. Any Advice?
|

replied November 23rd, 2012
This sounds like it's the opposite of what you need but try a tablespoon of vinegar with honey in half a glass of water. Increasing your stomach acid causes the lower esophageal sphincter to close tightly and triggers all the right chemicals within the stomach to be released so the stomach will feel relaxed and balanced.
|
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...