Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

Tibia/ fibula spiral fracture and ankle fracture recovery time

August 7 this year I broke my leg. I had a rod put in my tibia then spent 6 weeks in a cast. I spent another week on crutches trying to walk again. I'm now back to work (mechanic) on my feet from 7-10 hours a day 6 days a week. I have therapy 3 days a week. Problem I'm having is a lot of pain in my heel and ankle, almost to the point where I can barely walk after work. With this pain I walk with a limp which is causing pain in my hip, back and other leg. My question is, is this normal and is there anything I can do to heal/ ease the pain in my ankle and heel or should I contact my surgeon? Not that my surgeon is much help. When I got the cast off he told me to walk down to x-ray and basically called me a sissy for using my crutches.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 8th, 2014
Anybody? Medical advice, personal experiences anything would be greatly appreciated.
|

User Profile
replied October 8th, 2014
Experienced User
Durandetto - Sorry to hear of your recent injury!!! That’s amazing your back to work already; none-the-less on your feet that long! When I broke my leg, I ended up going back to work after 3 weeks; against my surgeon’s recommendations. He was wanting me to go back after a couple months, but I’m the sol parent, and the money maker. I wasn’t going to lose everything I worked so hard for. Lucky for me, I have a desk job and I was able to keep my leg elevated and iced throughout the day!

The pain in your ankle and heal, could simply be putting too much weight for long periods of time onto the leg! Not sure if your injury was considered “high-energy” (auto accident), or “low-energy” (slipping, falling, sports). If it was “high-energy” you then have a lot soft tissue damage; e.g. tendons, muscles, nerves that are to play into the healing process?

What does your Physical therapist think? Remember the surgeon is to fix the breaks, and that is simply where their knowledge ends, or continued help; hence seeing a physical therapist! I was lucky to have had a wonderful surgeon/ortho doc, but a knowledgeable Physical therapist as-well!

Because each injury, and person is so different, the variables of healing time can be endless! After 14.5 months and three surgeries, I’m finally feeling soooo much better! It’s now been 16 months, and I still have pain, but nothing like before, and I’m finally walking without a cane, or limp. I see you mentioned the pain in the hip, and back of leg. OHHHHHHHHHH do I remember that! I had it in the knee, hip, and the back; which caused sciatica pain down the leg. Since my last surgery 7 weeks ago, most all of that is gone, because I’m walking almost perfect!

A lot of these injuries take time… a lot of time. Before my accident, I never even gave it a thought about how this impacts one life! I figured you break your leg, get a cast, and after 2-3 months of crutches your done! Oh, that is soooo not the case. For me I had the physical part, and the emotional part to deal with! No one really understands until they have gone through it!

Good luck - Becca
|