Must Read
What happens during a stroke? What increases your chances of having a stroke? Stroke basics and info on the two types of stroke here....
Strokes can happen with virtually no warning signs. Learn the symptoms of stroke so that you can take immediate action in case of emergency....
User Profile
I had a diagnosed TIA on Jan 16th 2010, would that have affected short term memory, as there are several occasions in December 2009 that I simply cannot remember, also shortly after 16/01/10 I lost or could not remember where I had placed valuable items?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2010
Stroke Answer A14967
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I am really glad to help you out. An episode of TIA cannot result in the short term memory loss as a TIA doesn’t cause any neurological damage to the brain. Problems of memory, particularly for recent events (short-term memory) are common early in the course of Alzheimer's disease and this is one entity which needs to be ruled out.

Unfortunately, there’s no blood test or imaging test to diagnose Alzheimer's disease. I’ll suggest consulting a neurologist for the same. I sincerely hope this helps. Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Stroke , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.