Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Thyroid symptoms and medication

Hi,

I have the following symptoms: losing lots of hair, irregular periods, nails flattening, oily forehead, sweat when cold and hot, some weight gain, and tired a lot. These seem to be symptoms of low thyroid. I had a total thyroidectomy almost 5 years ago and RAI. I am taking Levoxyl, 220 mg/day. Missed my last blood tests 6 months ago, so think I need my medication increased. My question is, would another thyroid supplement be better than what I am taking now? Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 18th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
You should visit your endocrinologist and talk with him about switching on other brand of thyroxine.
Blood tests to check your thyroid hormone levels every few months until your doctor finds the proper dosage for you are important.
Even if you have hormones levels in normal range, but, still experiencing symptoms of hypothyroidism, the dosage of thyroxine should be increased.

What were your last readings for hormones levels?
|

replied June 19th, 2008
My TSH was .2 and now is .35. My doctor is increasing the medication.
|

User Profile
replied June 26th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Have you been tested for free T3 hormone, too?
|

replied June 26th, 2008
My Dr. says that isn't necessary, because the body converts T4 into T3.
|

User Profile
replied July 1st, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Do you usually get worse symptoms of hypothyroidism in periods of physical or emotional stress?
Have he though of problem converting T4 to T3?
|

replied July 1st, 2008
Usually I feel more tired. Right now I'm not tired, but have gained weight and developed a heart palpitation, faster heart rate than normal. That seems like a sign of hyper. I don't know. The manufacturer of my medicine, Levoxl changed a few months ago, so I think maybe that has something to do with it?
|
Must Read
Learn what the thyroid does, and the characteristics of thyroid disease here. In this intro section, we'll also review types of thyroid disorders MDs diagnose....
Specific medical conditions can trigger thyroid disease. Learn the basics about causes and risk factors for thyroid problems here....
Learn the symptoms for various thyroid problems...plus know when to seek medical help! A complete list of thyroid symptoms here....