Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gland Disorders Forum

Thyroid problems or Atrial Fibrillation or ??

I was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid some 3 years ago. Had radio active iodine treatment. Still taking NeoMercazole now. Now they've diagnosed me with Atrial Fibrillation. Symptoms have always been no energy, washed out, fainting spells, breathlessness, raspy cough, thirsty, some nausea in mornings, racing heart. Had 2 mini strokes 18 months ago. Symptoms getting slowly worse except not fainting any more. Just feel really lousy every day. On Avapro, Natrilix, Caduet, Warfarin, Metroprolol, Neo-Mercazole. I feel like a pill bottle. Doctors just can't fix me. I've read that a thyroid can bring on Atrial Fibrillation or vice versa, does anyone know anything about this? I don't know if its the heart or the thyroid or maybe something else. Nothing seems to make me feel any better at all and I've been like it for the past 4 years.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 15th, 2009
Very similar to you
I also had radio active iodine treatment for my over active thyroid. Now have been diagnosed with Afib with RVR. Going in for echocardiogram next week and have had four EKG's.
I am 72, no high blood pressure or any other medical problems.
Still waiting for results.
Grandma P
|

replied April 15th, 2009
Probably Heart problems and thyroid
I have had thyroid problems since i was young and chest pains. I found out last year that it was becuase my heart was leaking on an EKG. This seems to be common with hypothyroid patients. I have also felt the fatigue, especially when i excercise, and the dizzyness, even when i don't. It also feels like my heart skips beats when it shouldn't leaving my heart pounding afterwards and me breathless.
I am only 22, but it seems that the thyroid and the heart problems are connected.
Hope that helps. =)
|
Must Read
What happens during atrial fibrillation? Learn basic facts about the heart and what types of irregular heart rhythm problems doctors commonly diagnose here....
What can trigger a case of atrial fibrillation? And how can you avoid risks of developing problems with the heart? More here....
When are symptoms of atrial fibrillation serious? Know what complications can develop and when to seek medical help for this common heart condition....