Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

thyroid out, now abnormal lymph nodes. What should I do?

User Profile
Diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer had a full thyroid out 3 years ago. Always had a trace in my TSH numbers. On levoxyl 125mmg 6 days. Last Jan, diagnosed with abnormal lymph nodes, and this month when I went back, there are 2 more abnormal lymph nodes. What should I do next RAI scan or biopsy. blood work due in a few days.Thanks

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied August 5th, 2012
Thyroid Cancer Answer A37730
Hello,

Welcome to ehealthforum and thanks for writing

RAI scanning is usually recommended for patients of hyperthyroidism or in case of thyroid cancer recurrence.In my opinion for an abnormal lymph node biopsy is a better option as it would confirm the diagnosis if swollen nodes are caused by an infection, allergic reactions, cancer or metabolic diseases.

Since you already have a history of Papillary cancer kindly go according to the treatment as advised by the treating Physician as he is aware of your condition. Recurrence has been reported in thyroid patients.

Take care!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.