Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Thyroid medication with dairy products ?

Hello,

My name is Kevin. I have genetic thyroid problem from my parents. However, it's under control because i'm taking my medications.

I'm taking Euthyrox 50 daily. Doctor asked me to take this tablet daily n empty stomach.. recently only i got to know from another doctor that i shouldn't be taking and dairy products / milk before or after 2 hours from taking this tablet..

1) Can anyone explain why is that? I'm so used to having coffee with milk when i get up and also morning i used to have cereal with milk so now this is affecting my breakfast timing/routine..

2) I understand i have to take this tablet lifelong. Really no other way to control this situation without taking any medication?

Thank you in advance.

Kevin.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 20th, 2018
(online)
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern.
No,there is no alternative as your thyroid cannot synthesize thyroid hormones that are essential for metabolic functions of your body.Thinking of thyroxine to be an important harmone of your body will improve your compliance.
Certain foods interfere with its absorption like antacids,magnesium,sucrulfate,simethicon and caffeine.
Milk or dairy products has no interaction with its absorption.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Cancer, Coffee
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Thyroid Cancer , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.