Thyroid FNA results,
About 2 months ago I went to my doctor due to a swollen Lymph node,wasnt painfull but I was a tad worried due to having a benign tumour removed in 2008.had ultra-sound done and that was fine till they checked my Thyroid and they found a 12mm Hypoechoic nodual with small calcifications.Had biopsy done within the hour and results came back as Hypoechoic nodual with small calcifications.Follicular Epithelium Atypical, cells abnormal.My doctor refered me right away to a Endo surgen who then said if he thought it was benign ,you wouldnt be here.however they cant tell exactly what it is at present.3 options, wait and see what happens but have the risk of spreading,2nd,have another FNA done in 6-8 weeks or surgery.I opted surgery due to the fact I'm a single mother and didnt want to risk having this thing in me grow.I'm due to have surgery and was told 10 days for results post surgery.Am anxiuos,frustrated as no one really tells you anything.Can anyone give any advice etc.Going nuts.Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile MyrahU
|

User Profile
replied November 4th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
I think you made the right call to have the surgery, 100%.

From everything I've read, Follicular thyroid cancer can be really difficult to diagnose through FNA. Often it has to be taken out to be sure. That's what happened with me. I went in not knowing, just like you.

They're only going to take half your thyroid right now, correct? The half that has the nodule? Then if it comes back as cancer, they will take the other half in a second surgery? Is that the plan? Again, that's what happened with me and I think it's pretty standard when they don't know going in.

Also, you have to think about it this way, the only thing the FNA would be able to tell you is that it is cancer. A "benign" test result at this point wouldn't really be trusted, even by the doctors because the results have been too suspicious so far. They'd still want you to keep coming in for ultrasounds and tests at regular points in the future. I really believe that you will have to have this surgery at some point, the only question is "when?".

I know it's frustrating, but I think they really are doing the best that they can with the information that they have. It's not as cut-and-dry as we would like it to be. You just have to have faith that you are doing the right thing. If it comes back as not cancer, that doesn't mean you made a mistake, either. It means that you know for sure and can move on (even if they will want to watch the other half for future nodules, maybe). And if it is something, then you're going at it as fast and as hard as possible and giving yourself an excellent chance at eliminating it.

If you have more questions later, like about RAI treatment or anything, please feel free to re-post.

Good luck with the surgery. I hope everything turns out well.
|

replied November 5th, 2011
Thankyou so much for your response.I'm booked in for surgery on the 17th of this month.Thankyou for reassuring me.So I gather you ended up having Follicular cancer or am I wrong?I have sort of burried my head a little and silly me have been smoking since this all started after quiting nearly 4 yrs ago,how dumb is that,thats the last thing I should be doing.
I guess my biggest fear is not having cancer of the Thyroid but the on going worry as to if in near future it spreads.How did you go with having being diagnosed then the constant check-ups and hoping to god it was all clear?I know with having radio-iodine is more a pain then anything and mine would be not being around my children.I would love to here more about how this all came about for you and how you managed.
Thanks agin for your response and look forward to hearing from you.
petra04
|

replied November 5th, 2011
MyrahU,
O and to your question regarding surgery.Yes thats exactly the plan.What sort of thryoid cancer did you have?
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
I had Hurthle Cell thyroid cancer, which some experts consider to be a kind of Follicular thyroid cancer and some consider it to be its own kind altogether. It has some characteristics that are similar, but there are marked differences, as well.

Yeah, smoking is not the best idea. For one thing, I've heard it increases your chances of complications with anesthetic. And plus, you're already worried about one cancer, which is a relatively easy one. Don't put yourself at risk for lung cancer, which kills more people than any other cancer. Besides, you want to be a good role model for your kids, right? You know what the #1 risk factor for kids smoking is? A parent who smokes! Bad bad bad, all around. But you know that.

As for the future check-ups, honestly, I've gotten used to it. It's not as bad as you might think. I get a little anxiety, but it's been more than five years now and still clear, so I'm pretty confident. And with the frequent tests, you'll get advanced notice if it re-grows before it has a chance to spread. Remember, most of these things grow pretty slowly and even if they do spread, they are still sensitive to the radioactive iodine, no matter where they go in the body. That gives us the advantage. It may not be 100%, but it's better than any other cancer I know of.

The Radioactive iodine is kind of an annoyance. If you do have to have it, you can always schedule it over a weekend and have your kids stay with friends or relatives, that way you don't have to worry about them. Honestly, it's the low iodine diet that sucks the most. Bleh. If you end up having to do it, I can give more tips, but I don't want to go all into that right now. Jumping the gun a little.

Fortunately, there is a lot more information about this stuff available online on legitimate medical websites than there was 5-6 years ago when I was trying to research it. I had to look at actual books to get any good info back then. It's amazing how far we've come in such a short amount of time.

The only other advice I have that is pressing right now is that once you've gotten the bandages off, make sure to keep the incision moist and always keep sunscreen on it when you're out in the sun. That will help minimize the scarring.

Oh, and I just found out from watching her interviewed on "Nightline" a few days ago that Sofia Vergara from "Modern Family" had thyroid cancer about 10 years ago. Interesting bit of trivia, eh? Smile

Anyway, try to relax and remember that all the procedures for this have been well-established over many many years, with great success. The basic treatment for thyroid cancer hasn't really changed that much in like 50 years. That's how well this works. Have faith.

If you have any more questions, feel free to re-post. If not, I hope to hear from you after your surgery once you are feeling up to it and once you know what the score is. Best of luck. Smile
|

replied November 12th, 2011
Hi there.
Ok,just had my blood works come back.Apparently there is to much calcium in my blood,paraphyroid hormone is 11.Now even more confused then ever and as I got a phone call regarding my blood levels,no one exactly explained to me what is going on.Do you know what this means?Is this normal with having a nodual on thyroid or is this a seperate issue.
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
I don't know nearly as much about the parathyroid, sorry.

All I know is that parathyroid hormone controls calcium levels in the blood. Calcium is really key in the blood for nerve functioning, which is why if you don't have enough in your blood, your body will take it from your bones. It's way more essential for you to have it for your nerves than for your bones.

I'm not sure if 11 is abnormal. I looked up the normal range and it said around 10 - 55 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL), which may vary slightly depending on the laboratory. It should also be a fasting blood test, with nothing to eat or drink besides water for 10-12 hours before. This is according to the Medline Plus website. Perhaps your hormone is on the low side because you have so much calcium. It's basically telling your body not to raise it any more. It's an inverse relationship.

I would talk to your doctor about this as soon as you can, especially to find out how much calcium you have and how much over it is. If it's just a little too much or way too much.

Did your surgeon go over anything about the parathyroid glands, like the risks to them during thyroidectomy surgery? Anything like that?
|

replied November 16th, 2011
Hi there,
Thanks again for your response.No,no one has gone over it with me.A doctor from the hospital called me to let me know.Im having the thyroid surgery tom so I guess my surgen will have something to say about that too.This has been such a drag, I'm looking forward to getting this over and done with now and just no the answers so I can move forward with my life.Here's hoping the results are good but like you say,if it's cancer then its cureable..I will let you know how it went.
Takecare.Petra04
|

replied November 19th, 2011
Ok.Just had my half Thyroid out the other day.Feel ok besides abit sluggish,no energy but I think thats more to do with the strong tablets Im taking due to pain.I dont get my results till the end of the month.I also have to see a cardiologist as they were concerned about my heart,have abit of Trigemeny,had it since 2009 but getting worst.Wish me luck with results,they couldnt tell me anything.
|

User Profile
replied November 19th, 2011
Extremely eHealthy
The sluggishness could also be due to the surgery, too. Takes a lot out of you with the anesthesia. I felt really out of it afterwards, plus the pain killers. Just take it easy, don't do too much until you feel up to it.

Good luck with the results. I hope everything comes out clean.
|