Medical Questions > Cancer > Thyroid Cancer Forum

Thyroid Cancer Survivor- the after effects

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed this past December and I had my thyroid removed in january of this year along with 11 lymphnodes. 6 of which were cancer. I had my RAI the first week in May and as of now I am settling in with my synthroid. I am still on my same does that I was given when I had my surgery. I am a little above normal which is how they want it. My problem is, I have somehow turned into a psycho. Panic attacks, complete and utter obsessive hypochondria to the point where I cannot think about living anymore. My anxiety is so high that I am afraid to go to sleep. and I think every little thing is going to kill me. I went to the beach and got bit and now I think I have a disease - and I am dizzy and I feel sick but its probably my anxiety making me that way but in my mind I feel like I got a disease. I cant take the heat like I used to. i always get so overheated. Im tired alot.
I also found out I have TMJ which im sure contributes to alot of the physical issues im having.
My mind will not stop. I feel so bad for my boyfriend because all he wants is alittle stability but I just cant get back to "normal"
Please tell me its not just me. Im at my wits end with this.
i do have a therapist and I plan on speaking with her about all of this but my appt isnt until Wednesday and Im at work right now trying not to flip out - I just need some peolpe like me to talk to i guess.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 15th, 2012
Can your doctoc's not re-adjust your dose even slightly? Sounds like that would be impossible to live like that for any long period of time.
I feel for you, I am not going through any of this right now, just on open ear.
Have you thought about maybe accupunture or reiki as another alternative? It might not be for everyone, but it might help you relax a bit.
Good luck and hope talking to your therapist will help too.
|

replied October 16th, 2012
transcendental meditation
Transcendental meditation has helped my anxiety a great deal. It changed my inner life drastically for the better. My inner mind is the most calm its ever been and I have tried several other forms of meditation and I have tried hypnosis as well.
|

replied July 15th, 2013
i can relate to you somewhat. I had my surgeries and RAI back in 2010 - thyroid cancer. Ever since then I have not been the same, even with being treated, and supposedly my levels are all fine. However, I still experience a ton of symptoms. I am fatigued all the time, low energy, anxiety, depression, weight gain, anger, tension, mood swings, etc......I feel like I am going crazy! I dont know if this is all stemming from the fact I have no thyroid anymore or what? Its just frustrating, and I needed to find someone out there that could relate. It does seem like many others are having the same troubles the more I research. Just wish I could find a solution to feeling somewhat"normal" again. Its effecting my quality of life with my husband and kids.
|