Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diagnostic Techniques, Treatments Forum

Thumb swollen after a cut. No Infection No Pus

Hi,

This is for a friend.

He got a small cut on his finger with a knife and put a band-aid/tape on it. I myself have had such cuts and put a band-aid on it and it would be fine in a few days.

The Cut is on the upper side of the thumb just above the Interphalangeal (IP) Joint.

After 2 days all of a sudden, the thumb was swollen to 4 times its size.

Post the cut he was working with Glass and he doubts if a minute glass particle has caused some infection but after he was admitted to the hospital, the doctors checked his blood work and there is no Infection. They tried to put 6 needles to extract any Pus but it seems to be dry and it was just blood that came out.

There is no Infection and no Pus. The skin on the thumb hasn't turned blue or anything, just the swelling and pain.

What could be other reasons causing the Swelling and Pain?

Thanks in advance,
Avtar
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 22nd, 2018
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. This cut just needs topical dressings and pain relief.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diagnostic Techniques, Treatments , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.