I have been suffering from very bad head throbbing when I stand to walk from a sitting position. Before I continue to walk I have to wait for the throbbing to subside which takes a few mintutes or so. My hearing tends to be muffled at this time as well. It comes on suddently. I drink plenty of water. My doctor thinks it is migraine related. I have gotten migraines in the past, but they are different. I have noticed the throbbing more often lately. Hopefully someone has some answers! Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 6th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Are you experiencing dizziness and lightheadedness along with the throbbing sensation in your head?
Do you take some medicine currently?
Do you suffer from certain disease?
What type of migraine you were experiencing?
|

replied October 6th, 2008
throbbing head when stand to walk
In reply to MandMs, I do not experience any dizziness or lightheadness along with the throb and I have not been on any medication for this condition. The migraines that I get from time to time are the classical migraines. The throbbing in my head when I rise to stand is quite strong, but if I sit down again it stops. I only feel it when I stand to walk. There really is no pain; just the awful throbbing/pressure. I can feel this way for several days to weeks and then I might not feel this way for a month or so. It's hard to tell when this condition will start up again as it comes and goes for periods of time. It just has me quite baffled.
|

replied November 25th, 2008
throbbing head when standing up
This sounds somewhat similar to what I have experienced for years. I stand up from a sitting position, and slowing my head starts pounding (like with my pulse), and last for a few seconds then slowly stops. Sometimes my hearing gets muffled as well, and I experience this loud "whooshing" sound at the same time. I do get migraines, but somehow don't feel they are related. My doctor has referred me to a neurologist. The episodes are becoming more frequent. Have you had any luck in finding the cause?
|

replied November 26th, 2008
throbbing head when standing to walk
In response to md 1234, no I have not found a cause. I have seen a neurologist; but, he thinks it could be migraine related as well. I really feel like he just didn't really know the cause. He just said to exercise and see you back in a few months. Let me know if you see a neurologist. I am curious to see what he might think is the cause. Thanks.
|

replied December 10th, 2008
In response to Jeanee: I saw a neurologist yesterday. She is getting any tests, scans, and blood work I've had from my other drs. for the past few years. She said she would look at them and see if they lead her in any specific direction. Then she may order more tests. However, she said what I was describing had similar symptoms of "pusatile tinnitus", but wasn't jumping to any conclusions. I don't think I mentioned that I also have mitral valve prolapse. Not sure if that has any bearing on the episodes. She never indicated any connection between these episodes and migraines. I'll keep you posted.
|

replied December 10th, 2008
In reponse to md1234: Thanks for your follow-up. Please do keep me posted. Jeanee
|

replied January 12th, 2009
Well Jeanee, I had an MRI,MRV/MRA with and without contrast. All was normal. My neuroligist also thinks it could be migraine related. She said it is pulsatile tinnitus, and people who get migraines tend to be more likely to get this. Being that my headaches and migraines seem to be muscular, she precribed me a muscle relaxant to take only at bedtime, to see if the migraine and headaches subside. Also, I used to take some sort of pain reliever for headaches almost daily, and I am trying to stop as they can cause rebound headaches. We'll see how the muscle relaxant works.
|

replied January 12th, 2009
to: md1234
Thanks for getting back to me. Hope the muscle relaxants help. I'm almost starting to believe the throbbing could be migraine related. If I find out anything different, I will let you know as well. Thanks again.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Hey, I could not read all this but i think my story could apply to some of your concerns. This summer I also had this unbelievable throbbing/pressure in my head when I would get up. I would have to stop and wait for the feeling to go away. I could hear my pulse in my ears for a brief moment. these feelings would be pretty bad for a few weeks then leave for a bit then come back again. sure enough I went to see a doctor and he thought that maybe I had tension headaches so I was prescribed muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories. These medications had not much of a effect. Yet again I went to another doctor and he prescribed me a low dose of anti-depressants as this medication can help headaches. That did not work either. SO. finally one day I entered the hospital vomiting and got my CT-scan. Sure enough I had a brain tumour. The brain tumour was benign and was successfully removed. The throbbing pain came from my cerebral spinal fluid getting somewhat blocked. I feel amazing now and just have a scar to show for it. I never write on these things and am normally a healthy active 22 year old. The reason why I share my story here is because I also spend hours looking on the internet trying to find my illness. I think if I were a little bit more open to the possibility of there being something with me, I would have caught it earlier. If you think there is something
not right with you, be persistent! you know your body more then anyone else. Good Luck to you all.
|

replied February 4th, 2009
Ms.Jeanee
I'm a TBI patient my self. I've experinced this dizzieness that you mentioned earlier, I still get it but not in the same times I used to get it.

you can find more info about my case in the topic called:(T.B.I)& I'm always glad to help.
|

replied March 11th, 2009
sure would be nice to get diagnosis!
hi, I have had these symptoms for 1st time in my life for last 4 weeks straight. Originally so debilitating,I would actually drop to the ground for fear of passing out, although I never have. Went to ER, had CT, lab, carotid duplex, saw neuro, cardio, two primaries...no diagonsis...either cluster headaches or arthritis of the neck is all I heard. I get more than pressure in my head, it is pain as well and the dizziness and lack of motor skills and double vision during the "episode" is frightening and is keeping me from functioning normally. It is pretty much EVERY time I stand from sitting, and I spend probably spend 12 hours a day in front of a computer working. As the headache/
pressure starts to subside,I get the pulsating heartbeat in my left ear until the whole episode goes away. Overall, they are no where near as bad as they were when they first started, but I sure would like them to stop all together for a while! I have appt w/opthomalogist today and then I might see an ENT to be sure it isn't Meinere's disease....It stinks to have to pay so much in medical ins and deductibles and you cannot get a dx!!
|

replied March 19th, 2009
I am sure this has been done, but just thought I would suggest getting blood pressure checked out. If you have a cuff at home, check it before you stand, then after you stand (or have someone check it for you if you are unable for that brief time period due to pain) to see if there is any major change.
|

replied July 6th, 2009
Look into TMJ
I believe you would be better off talking with an oral surgeon about having TMJ.I had similar symptoms and I had TMJ surgery many years ago. It is so much better now. The jaw muscles can cause all types of these symptoms such as; dizziness, ear aches, headaches and throbbing on one side. The side that is the most painful. My son is also having these symptoms now and he is 23 years old. When he told me of the problems and ringing in his ears, I have recommended he see an orthodontist or oral surgeon. I hope this helps someone!! I had to have my jaw broke and reset . I went to many different docs trying to figure out my problem. I was even sent to an ENT for a possible middle inner ear problem since I was dizzy all the time.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
Hey, I could not read all this but i think my story could apply to some of your concerns. This summer I also had this unbelievable throbbing/pressure in my head when I would get up. I would have to stop and wait for the feeling to go away. I could hear my pulse in my ears for a brief moment. these feelings would be pretty bad for a few weeks then leave for a bit then come back again. sure enough I went to see a doctor and he thought that maybe I had tension headaches so I was prescribed muscle relaxants and anti-inflammatories. These medications had not much of a effect. Yet again I went to another doctor and he prescribed me a low dose of anti-depressants as this medication can help headaches. That did not work either. SO. finally one day I entered the hospital vomiting and got my CT-scan. Sure enough I had a brain tumour. The brain tumour was benign and was successfully removed. The throbbing pain came from my cerebral spinal fluid getting somewhat blocked. I feel amazing now and just have a scar to show for it. I never write on these things and am normally a healthy active 22 year old. The reason why I share my story here is because I also spent hours looking on the internet trying to find my illness. I think if I were a little bit more open to the possibility of there being something with me, I would have caught it earlier. If you think there is something
not right with you, be persistent! you know your body more then anyone else. Good Luck to you all.
|

replied July 14th, 2013
Just reading these, for months I have experience like a tightness, whooshing, sound, pulsating pain in the back of my head, this usually happens when I go from a sitting position to standing The pain usually lasts just a few seconds and then passes but is somewhat scarey. Have mentioned this to my neurosurgeon but he said I need to explain the pain more, I have a cerebrall tumour benign thank goodness and also have a shunt
|

replied January 15th, 2016
I have been having similar symptoms for 2 years now. I'm 34 and it usually happens when I go from sitting to standing. I feel sometimes like I may pass out but I never do. I get a pressure in my head with a strong wooshing sound. I have even experienced a visual disturbance a few times. I've had my heart tested and it was fine. I'm hoping to get some answers at my next dr. Appt. hopefully they check my arteries.
|

replied January 15th, 2016
I have been having similar symptoms for 2 years now. I'm 34 and it usually happens when I go from sitting to standing. I feel sometimes like I may pass out but I never do. I get a pressure in my head with a strong wooshing sound. I have even experienced a visual disturbance a few times. I've had my heart tested and it was fine. I'm hoping to get some answers at my next dr. Appt. hopefully they check my arteries.
|

replied August 27th, 2017
Jeanee did you ever find out what was wrong?
|

replied December 11th, 2017
This is totally what is happening to me! I will go upstairs or when I stand up or sit the pounding in my head starts, strange heartbeat feeling, and pounding in my ears! Lately I’ve been dizzy randomly... like right now. I’m pretty scared as this does not feel normal, especially the head part. It feels like I’m going to pass out or something when that happens.
|

replied July 31st, 2018
Headaches
My daughter and I have these symptoms, however she is just 13. She randomly experiences dizziness and throbbing of the head. She has been diagnosed with severe migraines, however she hasn't been prescribed any medication, so she uses over-the-counter painkillers.
|
Must Read
How can you tell if a headache is serious, or not? What types of headaches are there? Get started learning the facts about headache here....
Do you know when to seek help for headache symptoms? Learn more about symptoms of the four different types of headaches...and when to go to a doctor here....
Headaches can be caused by various medical conditions. Learn which tests doctors use to diagnose problem headaches...and who you should see to start diagnosis....