Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

throat swollen , but not to where I can't breathe or swallow

User Profile
So last night my fiance and I were playing , when he poked me in my throat , and it popped . it doesn't hurt , but it is a bit unpleasant , and very noticeable . it feels a little swollen , but not to where I can't breathe or swallow .

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 15th, 2016
General Q and A Answer A57598
Welcome to e health forum.

The lump you are talking about is more likely a enlarged lymph node.

Lymph nodes are part of the lymphatic system, where white blood cells (lymphocytes) mature and undergo clonal multiplication. The lymphocytes are important for fighting the infection and clearing the viruses and bacteria from the body. Hence during any inflammation or infection it is common for the lymph nodes to increase in size and also become a bit tender (pain on application of pressure).

In occasional cases, it is common for some nodes to be continuously active and hence appear enlarged permanently.

In such cases , treatment with antibiotics and other anti-inflammatory measures can help to resolve the condition.

It would be recommended that you consult with your doctor and seek a proper medical opinion.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.