Hello.

So for the past 5 years or so, I have been having trouble with throat clearing.

I often get a strong urge to clear my throat. The urge is increased after eating and in even moderately stressful situations. In addition to the urge, if I do not clear my throat my voice comes out sounding quiet/wet. This may very well run in my family as I have seen at least one member of my family have the same symptoms as I.

Thank you very much for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 3rd, 2014
Experienced User
What you are probably experiencing is LaryngoPharyngeal Reflux (LPR). We usually think of reflux as being from the stomach into the esophagus via the lower esophageal sphincter but its upward progression may also see it breach the upper esophageal (laryngopharyngeal) sphincter.
It doesn't have to be acidic. Anything refluxing at the throat can cause irritation to the airways stimulating production of mucus - which results in you having to continually clear your throat.

If you look at the "Silent acid reflux throat" post below, I posted a report on a recent survey I undertook to reveal the prevalence of LPR symptoms.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Almost everyone experience heartburn or acid indigestion at times. But what is acid reflux and how could it cause more serious problems?...
Can you tell the difference between common heartburn symptoms and signs of more serious digestive problems? Learn when and how to take action for acid reflux....
Heartburn is common, but it is not trivial. It's important to diagnose and treat heartburn or acid reflux as early as possible. Review diagnostic procedure now...