This is my first time to this site, and unfortunately I have few other means of obtaining answers to these questions because I neither have nor do I have the ability to obtain health insurance at the moment. I think I have read nearly every blog, forum and discussion board on the internet searching for a situation similar to mine, but all the symptoms have been partial and a satisfactory answer has not been found.

That being said, for many months I have been experiencing throat symptoms that are alarmingly similar to those of throat/laryngeal cancer. However, I also have extremely bad GERD and extremely bad TMJ, both of which share many common, overlapping symptoms.

It all began with a sore throat, which lasted for a little over a month. I had just gotten over bronchitis and I have a history of winter allergies, so I assumed it was nothing to worry about. However, that was last October and I still have symptoms. I don't experience any pain in my throat or lymph nodes, nor is there any swelling. I do have a cough sometimes, but it's only when I lean my head back and flex my neck that I feel the urge to cough. I do, however, have the "lump" feeling on the right side of my larynx, just blow the Adam's apple. The feeling is only on the right side and seems to shift higher and lower depending on the day. In addition to this, my throat feels "uncomfortable". I wouldn't say it's painful, itchy, or irritated in the common way. It's actually a very unusual feeling, it feels more like a "pressure" than anything. Sometimes it has that slight burn, as though I've just run a very long distance, but it's not severe and it's still isolated to one area of my throat at a time.

This sensation varies throughout the day. I usually don't notice it in the morning. It becomes more noticeable in the mid afternoon, during which my throat typically feels very tight and the "lump" feeling becomes most pronounced. In the evening the throat pressure normally goes away but the lump feeling becomes more severe. Sometimes I also experience breathing difficulty. It doesn't feel like I'm suffocating, but it seems as though my breathing becomes somewhat labored and unnatural.

I am presently 24 and I have smoked on and off for six years, although I have recently quit for good. I smoked roughly a pack a day for most of the time but gradually got down to maybe a pack a week. For two and a half of these six years I was a heavy, daily drinker. For over two years I have maintained a low-fat, mostly vegan diet and I exercise regularly and rigorously. Before adopting the diet I ate very reasonably and have been on a regular exercise routine since adolescence.

Like I said, I have a few other symptoms such as raspy voice and occasional ear pain, but I have also been a lifelong sufferer of GERD and TMJ, which is frankly not helping my worry at all. I intend to find a way of seeing a doctor soon regardless, but before I did I wanted some feedback, just for my own sake and maybe to have things to share with my doctor. Thanks ahead of time, guys; I really need resolution to this before I drive myself mad with anxiety.

PF
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 27th, 2009
Experienced User
Since you've been having GERD symptoms, have you tried over-the-counter acid controllers? Some of your symptoms could be GERD related. It is possible that you are actually breathing in the stomach acid as it comes up without realizing it. This can cause shortness of breath and coughing.

The lump could be many things. It could be in your lymph nodes or on your thyroid (which is right below your Adam's apple). It may also be related to your other problems. This is something that really needs to be looked at by a doctor. It is probably nothing, but if it is something, it needs to be treated early for the best outcome.

I don't know what country you're from, but have you tried applying for public health coverage (medicaid in the US)? If you don't qualify, do a little research. You may find a health plan that is more affordable than you might think, depending on the level of coverage. If this condition turns out to be something that needs treatment, getting a relatively cheap health plan may save you thousands in the long-run. It never hurts to check into it.

Good luck. I hope everything works out.
|

replied November 6th, 2012
good luck
|

replied November 6th, 2012
good luck
|
Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....