Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Thoracic back pain and urinary incontinence

I am a 23 year old female with pain in my thoracic spine. I've had thoracic pain off and on my whole life. This "episode" has lasted 4 days so far and is keeping me awake at night. Antinflammatories don't help. What's concerning me isn't necessarily the back pain but the sudden urinary incontinence. I has happened three times in the past 5 days. I never know it's coming, there is no sudden "urge." One minute I'll be doing something, the next I'll feel warm liquid gushing out of me. I know for certain it's not a UTI. Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 7th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Have you seen a doctor and gotten an MRI?

I would suggest going to the ER if you can.

If you have a disc herniation, called "Cauda Equina Syndrome", this is a MEDICAL EMERGENCY which requires immediate surgery or you could be incontinent like this from now on.
|

replied January 11th, 2012
I went to the ER the other day. They did an MRI of my lumbar and thoracic spine. It came back normal which is a relief, but I still didn't get an answer. When testing my urine it came back positive for large amounts of bilirubin, but nobody seemed concerned about that. I know that it is not normal to have bile in your urine.
|

replied January 13th, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Have you seen a urologist?

Assuming there is nothing found wrong by the doc's, here is a relevant quote:

Quote:
"In my clinical experience, a tucked (retroverted) pelvis predisposes women for organ prolapse and urinary incontinance. Restoring pelvic anteversion helps with these conditions if they are not too advanced.
An anteverted pelvis places the pubic bone directly under the pelvic organs, providing a strong bony support beneath them. A retroverted pelvis leaves all such support to the rather flimsy Kegel muscle"

What this means is you need to tip your pelvis forward so the organs are in the right place. Many people get contracted from sitting slouched and there is no support so you have incontinance problems.

One common solution with incontinance is to strengthen the Kegel muscles (Do a Google search for such exercises). But then you are adding tension to tension.
Elderly men have frequent urination problems and I think this can be from contracted muscles putting pressure on the bladder.

So what I would suggest is:
1) "Static extension on elbows" (Do a Google search) to get the pelvis rotated forwards.
2) Some type of "Hip flexor stretch" such as lunges (especially with the front leg up on the stairs or front splits so you aren't contracted.
|

replied January 20th, 2012
Actually, I ended up in the ER for a second time this time at a different and much better hospital. Symptoms had worsened quickly and it turns out that I have a vitamin B-12 deficiency and a possible autoimmune disease (pending lab results).
|
Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...