Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Thirsty and frequent urination, GP ran a range of tests...

Hi, I am a 30 year old healthy female, slim, active and generally no previous major health concerns (apart from endometriosis). I have 2 children aged 2.5 and 4.5 years old. For the last few months I have been constantly thirsty and urinating much more frequently and with much more urgency than previously. My mouth is constantly dry and I feel the need to drink a lot. I assume that the frequent urination is a result of this but I'm not sure if it's the other way around I.e. drinking a lot because I'm urinating more. I feel quite tired lately too and getting headaches quite a bit. The other day I had a bit of a dizzy spell but I'm not sure if this is just coincidental.

I have been suffering with carpal tunnel over the last few months too and my GP ran a range of blood tests but these were before the thirst symptoms etc started occurring. I assume something like diabetes would have shown up on these blood tests so I am not sure what to do next.

The constant desire to drink is now driving me mad!

I am definitely not pregnant as I tested for that and have been menstruating as Normal (or as normal as I can do with endometriosis!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 20th, 2012
Especially eHealthy
Ubertrippy,

If you are drinking more than usual, then you will probably urinate more than usual (as long as kidney function is normal).

There are several things that can cause excessive thirst. Many medications, even the over the counter ones can cause a patient to be thirsty and have a dry mouth.

If your physician ordered basic labs, then usually a random glucose will be checked. However, that is not the best test for diabetes. A fasting glucose should be checked and if it is abnormal, then other tests ordered.

Since you are not really very well, you may want to see your physician. Again, if there is concern for diabetes (if you have a family history of the disease), your blood glucose (sugar) should be checked when you are fasting. So, you may want to get an appointment early in the morning and not eat or drink anything after midnight.

Good luck.
|

replied September 20th, 2012
Thank you very much for the advice, I will call my dr and make another appointment and arrange a fasting glucose test.
|

User Profile
replied June 28th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
There are three differentials.
1)diabetes mellitus
2) diabetes insipidus
3) psychogenic polydipsia.
These three diseases should be investigated.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.