I've had a wide range of vague symptoms for months now and I can't get to the bottom of it. I am a twenty year old female. Several months ago I went to a doctor about extreme fatigue- I went from being very active- exercising moderately most days of the week- to hardly being able to make it up a flight of stairs. The doctor automatically assumed I was malnourished because I’m a vegetarian and fairly thin. I assured him that I eat healthier than anyone I know, I’m technically a pescatarian (I eat fish) I get plenty of iron, protein, I take vitamins, etc. He ran a basic test and everything came back normal. My TSH was 1.42 which from what I’ve read does not at all suggest low thyroid function. The fatigue never let up, when I try to go running I can barely make it a mile because of muscle fatigue. I also have not had a period in 10 months.

I am posting this now because in the past month my hair has been falling out dramatically. It seems like it happened right after I colored my hair slightly darker- this could potentially be the cause, however it is falling out at the root, and would it be breaking off if it were the dye? I’ve also recently been VERY thirsty, drinking water constantly throughout the day (glucose levels have also been normal- not diabetes). I feel like my sinuses and nasal membranes are very dried out, it affects the entire side of my face. I know these are symptoms of anorexia/malnutrition, but I have been eating a LOT to ensure that that’s not the problem. This summer I lost several pounds due to stress and I’m now 109 and 5’3. I’ve resumed eating normally, actually quite a bit more than normal, but I haven’t gained much back. Even when I’ve been eating a ton (seriously, like pints of ice cream), I get really intense cravings.

Another strange occurrence has been a sensation that has happened twice with my hearing- I can only describe it as feeling like a switch was flipped in my head, every sound seemed disconnected and then suddenly VERY loud, it was really disconcerting. The first time it happened was during the stressful week that I lost all of the weight, which makes sense, but it happened again the other day while sitting and not exerting myself. Occasionally everything that I hear will sound really tinny, like I’m hearing it through a tin can.

I have pretty bad hay fever which can apparently cause fatigue and thirst, but the season is pretty much over. I had another blood test run this summer of all of the usual things, again all normal. I’m starting to think that this could be some kind of adrenal/hormone issue. My face is very oily despite the rest of my skin being pretty dry. I’m not sure what half of the abbreviations on my test results mean so I’m not sure if they’ve looked for the right things. I have an appointment with a female doctor in a few days who will hopefully not just tell me I am depressed like the previous ones, but I thought I would ask around as well. I just want to figure this out before all my hair falls out!! I would really appreciate any help.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 6th, 2008
Thinning hair/no menstral period
Please ask your doctor to do a prolactin level and if it is high, ask him to send you to an endocrinologist. My daughter has a pituitary tumor that was found when she stopped having her periods for no reason whatsoever. She knew something was wrong and mentioned it to her doctor. He tried all kinds of hormone treatment to get it to start back, to no avail. He did a prolactin level and found it to be very high and sent her to an endocrinologist. She has been under treatment ever since. This is a lifelong thing. It can be treated successfully, and her's is.

Prolactin is from the pituitary and if it is high, can throw all the other hormones out of balance. discharge from the nipples is also a symptom of a high prolactin level. This can cause all kinds of trouble if not treated. Please check this out.
|

replied February 27th, 2009
i've kind of experienced the same thing you have. i'm 18 and i lost a huge amount of weight and got wayyy too skinny for my height. i was tired a lot but that was expected. my hair hadnt fallen out but i started taking birth control because i lost my periods and i wanted them to come back so i thought that would help. it did but the hormones messed with my body a lot and it made me gain a lot of weight which i obviously hated so i ate even less and i could tell my hair was getting thinner. i stopped the birth control because i didnt like how it was reacting and a ton of my hair fell out. it was terrible. i've been off the birth control for a couple months and the weight hasnt gone away and my hair is still really thin. im not sure what to do now! any suggestions? have you figured anything out with your problem??
|

replied June 26th, 2009
aachoo9,
I have experienced many things you have. I am a 35 year old, who was diagnosed 22 years ago with epilepsy. Thirteen years after I had my last child I started to experience hair loss. All I can contribute mine to is stress and phenytoin. But this causes BIG imbalances in my hormone levels. Like you, all my test come back good, so I decide to start my own research. With all the symptoms i have experienced, i honestly don't understand how my doctor did not pick up on iron overdosing.

I changed my diet, now i eat white chicken, no red meat. The result from this was no more swollen ankles i experienced for the past 13 years. I found my ankles once again. I eat more fish. And of course a balance between raw veggies with no more over cooked food. My energy level is revived, but there are other imbalances i am still experiencing. And no doctor has directed me this way. Listening to my body, and allowing God to direct me I will overcome these seizures I have experienced the majority of my life.

I will not be completely healed until I stop the phenytoin. At this point in my research it has lead me to finding foods that will nourish my body and hopefully stop these seizures.

Stress alone causes all the imbalances we experience. So LIVE. LAUGH. LOVE. The more we commit to becoming healthy, the better chance our body has of surviving these imbalances. Keep looking for answers!
|

User Profile
replied November 25th, 2009
my daughter in law is only 19 and her hair is thinning. It could just be a lack of iodine and emu oil. She uses the nulockz (with a z not s) and the kit is working. It has B vitamins, DHT blockers, emu oil and iodine. I have not seen anything like it around and it's really helping. They have tons of reviews and before and afters if you want to check it out.
|

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
Your symptoms are consistent with vitamin and mineral deficiencies.
I would suggest you to start vitamins and minerals to combat this problem.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Must Read
Hair loss affects more than half of the population by age 60. Start here for basic info on hair loss and types of hair loss that doctors can diagnose....
What causes hair loss? Read on for a complete list of possible causes so that you can evaluate and identify hair loss causes....
Do you know the early signs of hair loss? And when does hair loss require medical attention? Get better results for treating hair loss by identifying it early....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Hair Loss, Hair Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.