Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

Think my ex-GF is bipolar, her father has it,she says she doesnt

So, I have been with her for almost 5 years. Me , male 27, she 25. ( Sorry for my english, not first language, written in an emotional hurry)
Her childhood was difficult with episodes of physicall and psychological violence from her father untill she and her mother made him go with a legal restraining order. She didn`t speak with him for 8 years until they reunited last month. Her father is bipolar
She also had problems with drug abuse, not addiction, but taking high doses in parties once in a while which led to the hospital. The psychiatrist back then ( couple years ago) told us she had messed up some cerebral fluids and she has to medicate herself every day with a dose of fluvoxamine ( Luvox) .

She and the doctor said she is not bipolar but the thing is she presents a lot of the characteristics.
One day she is all love, all energy, everthing excites her and is very impulsive, whether when happy or angry. When angry she is a monster, she is very violent with words and irradiates a lot of anger.
And the next day she is down. She doesnt feel excitement for anything. She has quit a lot fo jobs which are very exciting at first but then she losses joy. The same with friends. She has been for 6 years studying and has been in 4 universities, and 3 differente career choices.

She ask me for a time a month ago to find herself, but in this time she has been more than ever two different persons.

One of her faces talks angry at me if I reach her just to know how she has been. She insults me and can not control herself.
The other comes to me and take me for breakfast and kisses me and tells me she loves me and she will never leave me, just need some time. This from one night, to the next day

When I comfront her ( in her happy self) about what her angry self told me she denies it saying she was just uncontrolable and angry; and the same happens the other way, the angry self denies telling me ( in her happy self) she wants me back saying she was just emotive in that particullar moment.

So the thing is : In this dissorder, whatever it is, is it possible that one self does not remember or recognize what the other said? Because it is driving me crazy trying to understand two statements coming from the same person but that doesnt match

The other: Are there characteristics of bipolarity in her? The father has it, she had alcohol and drug related problems which led to an unbalance in her brain, and the personality traits she presents.

Thanks for the help, I can`t talk to her or her family about this because she would get very angry and I really want to understand what is going on and do whatever is best for her and her health, even if we come back or not.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 12th, 2019
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and I understand your concern.
These symptoms are consistent with personality disorder. She would need psychiatric assesment for clarification.
I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Khan
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Bipolar Relationships , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.