Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

think I have a bartholin's gland cyst

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
User Profile
I think I have a bartholin's gland cyst as its in that general area. It has been coming and going Now for a few years and when it bursts always has a foul smelling brown and blood discharge. Past size is usually about a 50c piece size, this time it's the size of a small lemon and PAINFULL. My GP never does anything and doesn't even look at them.
He said it a sebaceous cyst and I need to let it burst on its own. Please help. I'm in so much pain!!

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2012
Vaginal and Uterus Health Answer A33754
Welcome to ehealthforum,
You should consider visiting your gynecologist (not GP/NP) at the earliest for thorough examination and further evaluation to look for the exact underlying cause. The Bartholin’s gland duct cyst or the sebaceous cyst needs to be drained or excised to help with complete relief and recovery. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Avoid vaginal douching, or use of harsh soap or perfumes in the area. Use loose cotton undergarments and avoid use of tight fitting clothes. Drink plenty of water. Take adequate rest. Maintain healthy diet and lifestyle. If infective cause is detected, and if you are sexually active, get your partner also treated simultaneously to prevent chances of re-infection, and avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.