Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Things that work for schizophrenics

you may not see the connection, but nutrition plays a big role in being healthy if you're schizophrenic.

many schizophrenics need extremely high doses of certain vitamins to stay well. the body is made up of organic molecules, so it only makes sense that if you have the right organic molecules (vitamins, minerals, herbs, and EFA's) that you're body will function better.

there's a few things to consider here...

1) extremely high doses of niacin. according to Dr. Abram Hoffer, schizophrenics produce large amounts of adrenaline, which for one reason or another becomes oxidized, and converts into adrenochrome or andrenolutin. Adrenolutin and adrenochrome are hallucinogens, which he believes is the reason schizophrenics have symtpoms of dellusions. He reasoned that any thing that would slow down adrenaline production, would slow adrenochrome and adrenolutin production.

which is why he uses high amounts of niacin to treat schizophrenics, and has a high success rate. Don't take my word for it, this info is found in his book "Healing Schizophrenia: Complementary Vitamin & Drug Treatments," by Dr. Abram Hoffer.

2) the brain is made up of 60% fats, and of these fats, 30% is the essential fatty acid omega 3 EPA. most people get way to much of the bad fats, which isn't good since your brain is made up of the good fats. also, your brain needs a healthy balance of omega 3, 6, and 9. most ppl get to much omega 6. which is bad since 30% of ur brains fats are DHA, which is omega 3.

most schizophrenics would benefit from taking an omega 3 fish oil supplement that contains DHA and EPA. they'd also most likely benefit from taking Flax Seed Oil, which is very high in omega's 3, 6, and 9.

you'd also benefit from avoid hydrogenated oils, saturated fats, trans fat, and other unhealthy fats.

3) zinc and b6. a lot of schizophrenics suffer from a condition where b6 and zinc bind together and are excreted in the urine. its called pyroluric. this makes it beneficial for schizophrenics to take extra b6 and zinc, while avoiding alcohol which depletes the body of zinc.

4) check for allergies. alot of schziophrenics are allergic to foods like eggs, milk, wheat. and other things, which when they eat those things they get symptoms.

I mention these things because i'm schizophrenic, and since i've added a few of these things to my nutritional regimine, ive become much better. so much better, that the meds i was on for 2-3 years were reduced.

i take a multivitamin, which is timed release, and has 50 mg's of the b complex vitamins. in addition to that i take 2 more timed release b complex pills with 50 mg of each b vitamin thru out the day. i eat 5 small meals (2 balance my blood sugar levels), and take 1,000 mg (1 gram) of niacin at each meal, for a total of 5 grams a day. i also take 1 tablespoon of organic flax seed oil, which contains 7,000 + mg omega 3 ALA, 2000 + omega 6 LA, and 2000+ omega 9 OA. i also take about 2100-2400 mg of omega 3 EPA/DHA thru out the day in divided doses. i also take 200 mg of b6 in a timed release pill. as well as 50 mg of zinc, which is extra in addition to the 25 mg in my multivitamin. i take 400 IU of vitamin E for the antioxidants. as well as Ginkgo Biloba which helps blood flow to the brain, which is very good for schizophrenics. i also take ester-c which is a very good form of vitamin C, i take 1,000 mg with breakfast, and 1,000 mg with dinner. i also take Manganese, 15 mg in 3 divided doses thru out the day, because it enhances the actions of the b vitamins, including niacin which is essential for schizophrenics. i take b12, in the methylcobalamin form because its the best for absorption, not cyanacobalamin because your body doesnt absorb much of it. i also take folic acid, 800 mcg, which is in addition to the 600 mcg in my multivitamin. i also take alpha lipoic acid because it helps regenerate vitamin c & vitamin e after they've nuetralized free radicals in the body. i also take magnesium because that's a very important nutrient for brain health.

i want other schizophrenics to get well like ive gotten well. that's why i share this information with u. in hopes that u 2 will get well. if n e of u want to get in contact with me and discuss more about how nutrition can play a part in u getting well. please reply here in this post.

so u kno. Dr. Abram Hoffer, and other Dr's who practice what is called orthomolecular medicine, which is basically vitamin therapy, get very high success rates with their treatments. especially when they catch the disease early, the longer u wait to treat it orthomolecularly (thru vitamins) the less chance u have of recovering and getting well.

here is the success rate they have with patients.

Group ////////// Duration of treatment ////////// Well and much improved

A. sick 1 year, or in 2nd or 3rd relapse ////////// up to 1 year ////////// 90%
B. sick 2-5 years ////////// up to 5 years ////////// 75%
C. sick over 5 years, but out of mental hospital ////////// 5 or more years ////////// 50%
D. sick over 5 years, and in mental hospital ////////// 5 or more years ////////// 25%

so as u can see the key to treating it and getting well is to catch it early. i luckily fell into group a because i was in my 2nd relapse, and i almost immediately began getting well on the niacin. i started on the niacin in june, and now being october, i am much better. my whole family says theyve seen a difference, ive began going to college again. i work. and i engage in a fully active social life.

for anyone who wants to get well, or who has family that wants to see someone get well, or with friends who wants to see them get well - i highly recomend you purchase the book by Dr. Abram Hoffer, called "Healing Schizophrenia: Complementary Vitamin & Drug Treatments." This book was the final piece of my puzzle.

See i knew nutrition was making me get better, because as i added supplements from a book called "prescription for nutritional healing" i saw improvements. but it wasnt untill i added the niacin in the high doses that were recomended in Dr. Hoffer's book that i really got completely well.

Please, help someone you kno get well by getting these books and getting them on the supplements recomended. I wish when i was first diagnosed at age 18 someone had came to me with these treatments. instead of losing 3 years of my life due to this illness and starting the treatment at age 21, i wouldve led a much more productive and fullfilling life.
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank nutrition4schizophrenia for this post: Bry4evr  Skw1rl 

replied October 5th, 2010
Icompletely agree with your knowledge of nutrition. I am extremely amazed with how correct you are in many areas, especially the vitamins and fatty acids.. I do have some things that I think I could contribute. I feel that it is very important to stay extremely hydrated with tap water. The small amounts of chlorine in the tap water will help your blood oxidize oxygen and increase circulation to all parts of the body - increasing all physical performance AND BRAIN FUNCTION! AWESOME!

Also I believe that detoxification is very important. When starting a new diet plan, you wont really see the benefits until you detox from all the things you were eating before. A mild laxative and chlorinated water will flush out all the impurities, then your body will truly feel the benefits of the supliments and herbs!
|

replied October 6th, 2010
thnx 4 the input! glad to see someone who sees the link between nutrition and being well
|

replied June 1st, 2011
It is so reassuring to read this as I have been trying the Orthomolecular method for a couple of months now for our son who is 23, and because he is still getting symptoms most days the Psychiatrist is trying to pressurise him into taking Olanzapine as well as the 32mg depot of Risperidone he is already on. My husband also expects quick results and it's very hard being the one with faith in other methods when no-one else gets it. My son thinks he has a slight allergy to eggs but definitely milk and probably wheat but am getting him tested soon for the latter two. We had been using a water filter, maybe we'll go back to tap water BUT I do want to change the copper pipes for plastic as apparently copper replaces the zinc in your system too.
I will order the books suggested, I bought a slim Hoffer volume on Orthomolecular but also Brain Allergies by Philpott & Kalita from Amazon 2nd hand, (about £4). This I am still reading but it is extremely interesting, although a bit in-depth in parts about biochemicals!
Keep in touch guys, as we need to support each other.
|

replied June 1st, 2011
Experienced User
Hey there nutrition4schizophrenia,

I commend you for all of the research you have displayed in your post! It all sounds very logical to me.

Do you know of a food menu plan for natural absorption of all those vitamins as opposed to taking supplements? In today's busy society, an actual book of menus with meals/portion sizes would be very helpful.
|

replied June 6th, 2011
Hi everyone. I’m not good in English, but I’m willing to share my life experience. I was diagnosed of paranoid schizophrenia last year in May 2010. I’m a nursing graduate, 25 y/o, working as a caregiver, and studying for the board exam. I’m an alcoholic, I usually drink just by myself--its like every night to make me fall asleep. It’s my only bad habit. I’m an active person. I play tennis, jog, good in chess and also good in math. I took psychotic meds and stopped it in the 2nd week and I had a relapsed and made me go back to meds again until the month of September. That time, I did not stop searching for alternative treatment. I’ve tried niacin, and I don’t stop believing that it can really cure me. That time I’m so very tired to myself, feeling so very sorry to myself because the doctor told me that it’s a lifetime treatment (doc said that schizophrenia can never cure it can be controlled, my niacin will cause a liver problem if it is too much, it can only be control with meds and I have to be use of the effect/side effects of med). The only problem of meds is it control or change the <normal me>, it made me feel useless. I know some of you this is what you are under going right now. I kept on praying to Mama Mary and to St. Raphael the Archangel, here is the prayer that helped me fight the hopeless feeling: (Glorious Archangel St. Raphael, great prince of the heavenly court, you are illustrious for your gifts of wisdom and grace. You are a guide of those who journey by land or sea or air, consoler of the afflicted, and refuge of sinners. I beg you, assist me in all my needs and in the suffering of this life, as once you helped the young Tobias on his travels. Because you are the “medicine of God.” I humbly pray you to heal the many infirmities of my soul and the ills that afflict my body. I especially ask of you the favor (name it) and the great grace of purity to prepare me to be the temple of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

I always went on fishing those months to challenge or forget the feeling of being not normal. Every Sunday I went to the church, because I believe that if we knew how to repent our sins, God will help us and guide us to the right path. I believe that if we seek help from God, He would help us to find a right person, a right medicine/vitamins that will cure us. My girlfriend, she gave me a really good support! I smoke cigarettes just to make me relax and I always watch a funny movie, most specially the Americans Funniest Video, and believe that someday I’m normal again (laughter is the best medicine they said). I stopped drinking alcohol, and made a promise to myself that I need to stay away from alcohol/beer for just now.. I’m like a Rambo that time, just a fighter, but not anymore a drinker. My mind is always shouting, I’m normal! I’m normal! Even the feeling is not. I don’t use any illegal drugs, but I tried marijuana 4 yrs ago, just an experience, just 1 try. And I said to myself that is not a good habit for recreation or for fun because I could find those fun/happiness w/out using that drug. There is a thing here in the world that is bad if it too much, it is the work of evil (addiction).

In the end of the month of September, my dad planned to go to the Philippines, and I decided to go with him. I said to him: I want to see my Grandma and Grandpa and go to the church. That time I’m so willing to find an alternative healing and to get a support to may Grandma and Grandpa and pray to the old church for healing or miracles that I‘m always hoping that time. Because I believe that time it’s a lifetime illness, all I think that time is I just need to be brave and fight the feeling of hopelessness (mixed thought and emotions). In the Philippines we believe in faith healing. And I went to the faith healer. The faith healer said that its all stress that form from my head for not eating at the right time and made drinking alcohol as a habit. Its like a plant that is sufficient in sunlight and no nutrient/ water. Too much alcohol it weakened your nervous system she said, veins/arteries in my head, and alcohol will flush out all my nutrient in my body. She told me that I have to stop taking my medicine! Which will ruin my body and mind for long time of using of it. I was shocked because I don’t want to relapse again, and I told her that. And she said: That’s why I’m curing you. Don’t think that it will come back again. (it’s a 5 days of curing: first day, she massage me from the head to toe with praying.. I remember that she always say “Jesus please help. “2nd day, massage my head with prayer again, 3rd day she massage my head again with prayer because I had a bulging vein in my forehead. The 4th day she covered me a blanket (from head to toe) in sitting position. She prepared a mix herbal leaves and then steam it to me, I inhaled the smoke. She said that I will be sweating to remove the toxins in my body. And the juice of the mix herbs, she let me drink it. She said that if I experience vomiting, its means that there is too much air in my body that it is not good. And the result is I vomited overnight. She told me that I need to stay away from using cigarettes and drinking alcohol for 1 year. After a few days, I still can’t stay away from smoking, so I smoke. And after 2 week, I returned in the U.S. and told my doctor and counselor my story and told them that I stopped taking meds for 2 weeks already. And I’m not experiencing anymore of hallucination/ paranoia. Doctor told me that they do not believe in faith healer. And she’s happy that I’m not schizophrenic anymore but she wanted to contact them incase that the symptoms come back.

Almost 9 months now. I drink sometimes, less than 4 times a month. I just drink not more than 3 cans of beer. I did not experience anymore symptoms.

MY MOTIVATION BEFORE I’M ON MEDS AND SCHIZOPHRENIC: when I‘m in doubt, sad, hopeless etc. * I pray to seek help from God * went to church every Sunday *seek support if I’m feeling lonely * went to the beach, walk/fishing *jog until I get tired *play relaxing/happy music *clean the house * took niacin with vitamin C. * stay away from staying in couch all the time without doing anything just watching television (I found it not really helpful) *funny videos is more helpful. Just be brave and trust in God!

NOW I’M OKAY: I realized that if praying to God is not my first priority to achieve my healing, I’m not here today telling this story. I found out that Vitamin B-complex timed release is more helpful to stay healthy in mind. I think that this is the best way to achieve normal mind, not too much niacin, just a complete vitamins. Much more better with minerals multi-vitamins before bedtime. *Stay away from alcohol/ not too much just enjoy the company. *Exercise and stay away from fat foods. I think the best way to enjoy the food is if we have company. *Drink plenty of water and eat foods that are high in antioxidant and vitamin C.

I wish you the best. Your in my prayer. Seek help to God, repent/ ask for forgiveness of sins. God is the source of all the healing things, the vitamins/medicine, the food we eat etc. Always remember He is the creator off all.
|

replied June 7th, 2011
try glycine it works,i swear,u see the result in 1-3days...titrade the dose~~i do it like 10 gram glycine every 4 hr till i sleep~~
|
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....