Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Things that used to make me feel better do not work anymore.

User Profile
Hi, I'm 17 and I feel very low all the time. Things that used to make me feel better; such as watching tv or listening to music, do not work anymore. Instead they actually feel more depressed because I see all these people having good lives that I feel I will never have. I know I'm young and I have my whole life infront of me, but I feel like I have so many obstacles to overcome. For example, I am studying to be a lawyer but, I am shy, self conscious, socially awkward, plus English is my second language. So I just feel pointless for even trying. I have no friends and I am constantly put down by the 2 that I have. I just feel so down all the time and I just want to be happy for once, but I just feel like everything is going downhill from here.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 14th, 2012
Depression Answer A35989
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the description it seems that you may have a anxiety disorder and or depression probably due to being lonely, which is probably resulting in a low mood.

You will need to de-stress and find ways to relax when ever you can. This you can do by various means, like listening to music, spending time with friends and family, learning a new art like music, reading books, being active in sports or at the gym, etc.

Other methods by which you can find relaxation and calm is by meditation and doing breathing exercises.

Regular physical exercise, good nutrition and stress management techniques will give you a basic foundation to build a new positive outlook. Have a positive attitude and develop a confidence in yourself that you have a important place in the world.

You may consult a psychiatrist or a counselor, who can take a complete history and with proper counselling and behavior therapy can help you start enjoying life. If needed prescription of medications can also be helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Depression
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.