Medical Questions > Womens Health > Vaginal and Uterus Health Forum

thick brown discharge?

Must Read
To better understand abnormal vaginal bleeding, we first review normal vaginal bleeding. Do you know when uterine blood is normal, or not?...
What are the signs and symptoms of abnormal vaginal bleeding? When should you seek help?...
Prepare yourself and know what to expect when you visit your doctor for vaginal bleeding. We review the medical tests and diagnostic procedures frequently used....
help! im so confused! im 17 and recently ive been finding thick brown discharge in my underwear, i am sexually active with my boyfriend and have had unprotected sex a couple of times, but he has never ejaculated inside of me. my periods are normally all over the place and i have expieranced brown spotting imbetween periods. i was also on birth control but stopped taking it recently but i havent had sex since i stopped taking it and have also had a normal period since we had sex so there is no possibility i could be pregnant. i wondered if it could have anything to do with changing from using sanitry towels to using tampons? because soon after i came of my period i had thrush, but treated it and it went away but now this is happening.. baffle my and my boyfriend also do alot of foreplay, could it have anything to do with bacteria on his hands that may have caused an infection? am i thinking to far in to this and is it just an infection? aurgh help! Sad
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2010
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The symptom of thick brown discharge could indicate possible infection. Look out or other symptoms like itching, burning, foul smell, pain or discomfort in vagina.
The case for infection could be many including change in sanitary pads, fingering, past intercourse. Consider visiting your gynecologist to report this, get vaginal smear tested for identifying infection. Get your partner also treated simultaneously avoid having intercourse while being on treatment.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Vaginal and Uterus Health , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.