Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

they didn't say anything about the twitches...

User Profile
I was recently diagnosed with epilepsy december last year, I had a seizure and was rushed to hospital to have scans and tests done to see what happened.
For years i was having an embarressing twitches in my jaw, mainly when i read or spoke to people.
When i went to the hospital and saw an neurologist they said that for many years i've had nocturnal epilepsy and would of never known about it if it wasn't for the seizure i had awake but they didn't say anything about the twitches.
My auntie who is a nurse told me that i should record every twitch i have which is about 5 or more a day, because from what she had read some twitches could be mini seizures or something along those lines which could be effecting my brain waves.
When i have my jaw twitches i sometimes get a cramp feeling in my jaw muscle or a pull which makes my jaw jolt down and i also get a spasm in my tongue which causes me to make a strange noise, i also get twitches in my arms, legs everything really. Could they ever stop?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 2nd, 2011
Epilepsy Answer A20263
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the jaw twiches on reading and speaking to the people for years and also sometimes generalized twitching all over the body.
The first thing to be ruled out is TMJ and cervical spinal nerve compression. I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms.Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Epilepsy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.