Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Orthopedics Forum

Therapeutic Cold Laser for scar tissue treatments?

Just curious if anyone has tried this. Seems its been used for sports players
injuries in the past. I had a proximal humerus fracture and surgery with a rod
and 4 screws to repair it a year and a half ago. Wanted to try this to help with
scar tissue and increase in range of motion. Would appreciate any feedback, thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 28th, 2010
I personally do not use Cold Laser therapy in my practice, however there are research and clinical studies that show effectiveness for its use with pain and increase in healing response. I am not too sure about scar tissue, but a good technique for that would be Graston Technique or ART (active release technique). Good luck!

Antonio Marotta, D.C.

|

replied January 28th, 2010
I have had ART along with Physical Therapy but still not
100%, if thats posible with this kind of injury. Doctor
Marotta do you know if its safe to use the Laser with
hardware in my arm? Thanks for your response.
|

replied February 7th, 2010
I'm a chiropractic in Marietta, Ga and I own the Nutritional Health Improvement Center, LLC. I practice Nutrition Response Testing and I treat scars in my practice with a cold laser. When the cold laser is combined with applying Wheat Germ Oil directly to the scar, the appearance improves significantly. I also test to see if the scar tissue is creating underlying health problems which it frequently does. The cold laser also helps to correct this situation.

Good Luck,

Dr. Melissa Gunther, D.C.
|

replied March 9th, 2010
Laser treatment
Laser treatment biostimulates chemically damaged cells. It has a photo-chemical effect on the area not photo-thermal so it is safe to use with hardware in the body. I use a Class IV laser in my practice and it is very effective for for reducing pain and inflammation, and increasing range of motion.I have also had excellent results for faster post surgical healing. It works well in conjunction with ART.
I'd give it a try!
Sharon Reynolds
|

replied March 13th, 2010
Thanks, I do intend to give this a try. My recent Musculoskeletal UltraSounds shows a partial articular surface tear of the anterior Suprasinatus tendon. I think this is where the surgeon made the incision to insert the rod to repair my fracture.I was wondering if the Laser helps in repairs of partial tears to the rotator cuff as well.
|
Must Read
Think you might be experiencing bone loss? Check out this Intro to Osteoporosis and evaluate your risk for developing bone weakness. ...
Although bone mass loss is normal as we age, some people are more at risk of developing osteoporosis than others. Are you at risk? More here....
Do you have severe back pain? Do your bones break frequently or with little pressure? You might be experiencing osteoporosis. Found out more here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Orthopedics , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.