Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

the wound opened up and leaked !

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
User Profile
I have a wound/bite of sorts on my ribs/side. I thought it was a spider bite at first but now I'm not sure. I went to a doctor and he gave no real diagnosis but put me on Cephalexin as antibiotic. That was on Monday, it's Friday and the wound seems to be the same. The wound is about 2" diameter, and there's a hole in the center the size of a pencil eraser. I took a shower today and the wound opened up and leaked What looked like puss and blood (gross-i know). It's extremely painfully and tender, and the surrounding area has become very solid, hard flesh. I am afraid it could be a staph infection or somethin because there are 2 more small wounds/bites near the big, painful one. I have a photo I can email?
I have already spend $200 on a doctor that was clueless. Any advice you could give would be great.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied March 12th, 2011
Insect Bites Answer A20761
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem to be suffering from an abscess from the description that you have given and if it is not responding to cephalexin, further investigations in the form of pus culture and sensitivity might be required to look for the causative organism and decide the choice of antibiotic according to that.
You must consult your personal physician for the same as it is not possible online.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.