Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

The symptoms of schizophrenia

User Profile
Okay, I'm a 14 year old girl and I hear voices. No one else hears them, but I know I'm not just imagining it. There are three of them and only one has a name: her name is Haruhi, and the other two just have me call them "him/he" and "her/she". Basically, Haruhi's mean and insults me and makes fun of everything I do. He is pretty much just the person I go to to talk about my problems and She's nice but doesn't talk much because Haruhi gets mad if she tries to comfort me.

I told my friend about this once and she said I was mental (except in kinder words). She also ended up telling the psychologist at our school and she said that I seem to have most of the "negative characteristics" of a schizophrenic (I'm pretty much antisocial) and she wants to send me to therapy.

The thing is - I don't think I'm crazy. Him, Her and Haruhi have to be real - I can talk to them and they talk back. Am I really a schizophrenic?
I guess I just want another opinion before I officially go to therapy.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile DoctorQuestion
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
Schizophrenia Answer A12364

The data you provided (hearing three voices that no one else can hear, each voice with particular role, age 14) might be related to schizophrenia.

Schizophrenia is a mental disorder that is characterized with abnormalities in expression or perception of reality. These people might see or hear things that other people do not or might have distorted perception of real events. They might interpret the events in a different manner. Sometimes they might recognize people or places inappropriately (for example, to tell a parent that s/he is a famous movie star). One fact that distinguishes these people from other disorders is that they are completely persuaded that the source of perception exists (voice, sound, image) and they completely believe the distorted reality. This is a big problem, because the person has no way to recognize the symptoms and often does not accept the fact that he or she needs treatment.

Schizophrenia most often appears in young people between 15 and 25 years of age. The treatment includes anti-psychotic drugs recommended by a psychiatrist whom you are advised to see. What you have to remember is that the medications are to be taken regularly as recommended by the doctor. There might be side effects (ask the doctor for possible side effects), but the medications are not to be stopped unless the doctor allows you to, because the symptoms would return very soon.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Schizophrenia , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.