Medical Questions > Debate Forums > Abortion Debate Forum

the pro-life movement vs. rape abortions

User Profile
I'd like to pose a question to the entire pro-life camp that I've asked one particular member. Please forgive the copy/paste, but I'm just trying to save time since the questions and sentiment are exactly the same.

Are you in favor of allowing abortion in the case of rape? If so, how can you reconcile your love of human life with the reality that you'd be giving a rapist nine more months of bodily violation on his victim? Do you think that once she bears the child, the rapist should have dibs on custody or visitation rights? What about his (legally innocent) family? Should a woman be forced to not only bear her rapist's child, but to face his parents every other weekend because they want to know their grandchildren? We're assuming, of course, that the victim in question decides to keep the child. If she doesn't, the rapist and/or his parents would almost certainly be given first dibs on adoption rights. (Keep in mind that it's VERY HARD to get a rape conviction. If acquitted, a man has the same rights as any other father. If not, she still has to live with the idea that HER child might be raised by the same people who raised her attacker because the family courts don't punish people for the crimes of their children. Heck, I'm sure some family judges aren't even allowed to KNOW that information lest it bias their decision.) How do you think this would affect the woman who's been attacked and violated in one of the worst ways a woman can be?

If you're in favor of allowing abortion for rape victims, then how are you OK with killing a baby for the sins of its father? A rape baby is no less innocent than the result of an idiotic one night stand. Also, wouldn't this distinction lead to accusations of innocent men by women who just wanted an abortion at whatever the cost? For that matter, how do we decide who's actually a victim of rape? Do charges have to be filed or does it take a conviction? Would a pointed finger be enough? Isn't it a further violation of a woman to make her admit to being raped when all she wants to do is make the situation go away?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 5th, 2010
Experienced User
I love how no one replied to your statement. Hats off to you DamianaRaven
|

User Profile
Experienced User
I was beginning to feel ignored and neglected. I have a couple of questions about the pro-life philosophy which seem to go unanswered and avoided. Time will tell, I guess!
|

Active User, very eHealthy
The problem is, they can't "win" no matter what they say in response. If they don't support rape exceptions, they're as bad as the rapists themselves. If they do, they aren't consistent.

I'd like to say more but this subject is triggering for me and I think I should steer clear of it for now.
|

User Profile
replied January 6th, 2010
Experienced User
Darkmoon wrote:
The problem is, they can't "win" no matter what they say in response. If they don't support rape exceptions, they're as bad as the rapists themselves. If they do, they aren't consistent.

I'd like to say more but this subject is triggering for me and I think I should steer clear of it for now.

I've deliberate set up the question to be a "no-win" debate position. There are many holes filled with this kind of circular logic in the pro-life movement. It's my intention to demonstrate that there are some scenarios that cause even the most staunch defenders of the almighty fetus to look at their feet and mumble. Wait until I get going with my wacky "overpopulation" math...
|

Extremely eHealthy
Damiana, there are plenty of extremists who are opposed to abortion for any reason, including rape. The Catholic Church, just as an example. And also the poor-widdle-innocent-baby brigade, who all personally know someone who was raped and gave little rapist-junior up for adoption.

Wouldn't you just love to eavesdrop on the conversation 18 years later, when the kid finds his birth mother, and she tells him that his daddy was a rapist?
|

User Profile
Experienced User
oopoopoop wrote:
Damiana, there are plenty of extremists who are opposed to abortion for any reason, including rape. The Catholic Church, just as an example. And also the poor-widdle-innocent-baby brigade, who all personally know someone who was raped and gave little rapist-junior up for adoption.

Wouldn't you just love to eavesdrop on the conversation 18 years later, when the kid finds his birth mother, and she tells him that his daddy was a rapist?

I'm sorry to anyone who may be offended by this but I think that is the most disgusting thing you can ever force anyone to do. I'd rather eat rat defecation than be forced by strangers to harvest the spawn of the most horrifying thing that can happen to anyone at the age of 16. Adoption or not, giving birth to something you hate is far worse than any abortion. A scar that will never fade...
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
oopoopoop wrote:

Why would you call the fetus rapist junior? The fetus hasn't done anything wrong to anybody, the problem is its conception- which no one on earth controlled for themselves.

There are rape babies out there who don't know they are rape babies and were just lucky as hell to never find out. No one knows for SURE they were not teh prodcut of rape unless they;ve had DNA testing proving who their father was and that 1) their mother consented to sex with their father at the time of conception and 2) their father consented to sex with their mother at the time of conception and 3) when exactly was the time of conception.
|