Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

The need for a splenectomy

User Profile
Since my splenectomy I have found it harder to exercise I am trying to find out why I cannot do as much as I use to I find the hard exercise and recovery has been affected the most how does the splenectomy affect the body's performance is it oxygen transport, red blood cell count I'm am not sure, I was very fit person worked as a builder and did lots of surfing and sport and now have decided to change careers as I have come to terms with deciding I am just not going to be the mam I was can you help me I have been puzzled with this for 2 year.

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied May 24th, 2010
Spleen Answer A12311
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Splenectomy is a procedure when the spleen is removed from the body. Surgeons remove it due to two major reasons: injury and rupture of the spleen, or hematological conditions that affect erythrocytes (their damaging and destruction). The function of the spleen is to collect and store a certain amount of blood which shold be released into the blood flow in case of cardiac shock. It is also a place where erythrocytes are usually destroyed due to the age of these cells. An enlarged spleen, especially during hematological medical conditions, may cause anemia. A splenectomy itself doesn't affect the body's performances and the oxygen transport function.

Given the data that you described, it is likely that you are experiencing the exhaustion due to the iron deficiency. You may consider having your red blood cell count and hemoglobin checked to rule out anemia. You may have to correct it by eating more meat or taking iron supplements.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Spleen , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.