Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Parkinson Disease Forum

the disease has rapidly worsened, can 5HTP help?

User Profile
I am 64 years old and was diagnosed with parkinson about 12 years ago. Until 18 months ago it caused me little difficulty in daily life, since then the disease seems to have rapidly worsened. At the moment I take Levocaent 50 /12.5/200 and Clarium 50 mg four times daily and Azilect 1mg once daily. I take Pantoprazol 40mg once daily because of chronic gastritis and reflux. I also take Valtarsan 160mg and Xipamed20mg for high blood pressure and Sultanol 100mg for ihigh pulse rate.This year I have gained weight dramatically, which I am now trying to reduce. I sleep badly, on good nights i get 5 hours of sleep, interrupted at least twice, on bad nights even less. I have heard that 5-HTP could help with many of my problems. Is it safe to take in regard to my other medications?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied July 31st, 2015
Welcome to e health forum.

With all the list of medical issues it would not be wise to use 5-HT supplement.

The activity of the supplement is similar to that of a placebo, and its therapeutic benefit that has been marketed, has not been excellent.

It would also be wise to speak to your doctor managing your parkinsonism and high blood pressure and get proper counselling before you plan to take any form of herbal supplements.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
1/2 million Americans are diagnosed with Parkinsons. Click here for basic information and a definition of Parkinson Disease, a movement disorder of the brain. ...
Do doctors know what causes Parkinson's Disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? More info on risk factors here....
We outline the common symptoms of Parkinsons and list the types of movement disorders that accompany the disease. Plus, know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Parkinson Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.