Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Broken Bones Forum

5th metatarsal spiral fracture

I broke my 5th metatarsal bone (spiral fracture) on my right foot from skateboarding 4weeks ago and now In cast for 3 weeks.. My concerns are: everytime I put my foot down to the ground (relaxed position) I can feel all the pressure in my foot like it's going with my heart beat, and my toes will also swell. But everytime I elevate my foot it goes back to normal? And sometimes I feel like there's a throbing pain on the fracture site but it won't stay for long. Guys, do u have any idea? I'll get to see my doctor on May 9 and for now I am seeking for any advice from the Internet who have gone through this or any expert when it comes to 5th metatarsal fracture..

Rufus

P.S if u gurus want to see my X-ray I can send it to you or a link of the X-ray photo.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 17th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
Rufus,

It is very common for the foot to swell when in a dependent position (hanging down), espcially when it is in a cast.

The venous blood supply, lymphatics, and any edema have to be pumped back to the body core by muscle action and/or gravity. This is why the swelling goes down when you elevate the foot.

Unfortunately, as long as you are in the cast, you may have some problems with swelling. It might get better as time progresses and you have less edema around the injury site.

Also, wiggling the toes will help some, as this will contract some muscles in the leg, helping to pump the fluids back to the body.

Good luck.
|

replied April 19th, 2013
Thank you very much Gaelic.. You are very helpful Smile. On Monday (next week) is my 4th week in cast, and my foot doesn't swell that much anymore. When I try to put it down on the ground, it doesn't hurt anymore as well. But im still doing the NWB. Does this mean I'm on my road to recovery? I'm just so excited to know since all the insanity and frustrations are trying to break me down. And I won't be able to see my doctor until May 9.

I live alone without any family and my girlfriend lives from a far and I go to the a government hospital which is kinda frustrating coz u know, I live in Philippines and I'm telling you that the government hospitals here will make you cry. Seeing those dying patients are not well taking care of. But enough of that. My new concern is the cast got soften and has a lil crack on the sole part but still intact. The last time I asked my doctor, he said that its alright as long as it is still intact and not broken. But I've read some forums that as soon as it gets soften or crack you might wanna have it change for a new cast. But my doctor insisted. He said that he is afraid to get the cast and might displace the bone. What should be done?

photo image-4.jpg

photo image-3.jpg
|

replied April 19th, 2013

|

User Profile
replied April 24th, 2013
Especially eHealthy
forkboy,

After four weeks, the fracture should not displace if the cast is changed. Most metatarsal fractures will unite in around six weeks or so. Thus, at four weeks, you should have significant osteoid (the "glue" that first fixes a fracture, it is the soft tissue matrix of bone) around the fracture.

It is difficult to tell how much callus (new bone formation) there is around the fracture, when the x-rays are taken through the cast. Also, I don't know when these x-rays were taken (ie right after the cast of applied or just recently). There appears to be some callus formation at the tip of the distal fragment, but again, it is hard to tell when there is a cast in place.

If the heel of your cast is really soft (broken), it either needs to be changed or reinforced. If you are still nonweight bearing and only have a few days left in the cast, it might be possible to get by until the cast is to be removed for good.

But, if you are having discomfort from the cast (information from another of your posts), then the cast needs to be taken off so the skin can be looked at. And, again, at four weeks, there is minimal chance of the fracture moving (displacing). It is more important to make sure that you are not developing a cast sore under the cast. If the fracture would happen to displace (unlikely), it can always be reduced once more. Again, the development of a cast sore is a bigger problem. So, if your discomfort is significant enough for you to post a question about it, it is significant enough to be looked into.

Good luck.
|