I work at a grocery store in the meat department. I am on my feet 8-10 hours a day, sitting for maybe 15-20 minutes, break time. I carry pans of meat, pans of meat, boxes of lunch meat, big turkeys, big hams, etc. I am a meat wrapper and I cut meat sometimes. All I do is walk and carry meat. One day I had been clocked in for about one hour or so and I was going to the meat cooler to grab a 40 lb. box of chicken to start traying up and wrapping for a customer. On the way to the cooler my foot bone broke. I actually felt it snap. I did not have anything in my hands at the time, I did not trip on anything or run into anything. Workmans compensation deninded my claim just because I was walking only. I figure with all the weight of the meat, etc. that I have to carry everyday just wore my bone out and it just snapped. If I cannot walk and carry merchandise then I can't work. I have been off work for 10 weeks and if the bone does not heal they will put a screw in my foot, which means surgery. I think its wrong Workmans Comp will not cover me because I was walking at my job. Can a doctor please give me any ideas on how to help them see this different. Thank You, CountryLady
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 2nd, 2011
Especially eHealthy
CountryLady,

You might look into stress fractures. These are fractures which occur after a bone has been subjected to repeated stresses. Stress fractures of the metatarsal bones in the foot have been called "march fractures", because they occur very often in the military.

These can be caused from just walking.

In the military, they are commonly seen in new recruits, who have increased the amount of stress they are applying to their feet in the first few weeks of basic training. The bones respond to the stress by remodeling, but during the remodeling, there is a period where they are actually weakened. It is in this time frame when the stress fracture occurs. And it can occur when the person is just walking.

Good luck.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
We answer the questions: What is a wart? How do warts spread? What types of warts can you get? More basic facts on warts and plantar warts here....
What causes warts and in particular, plantar warts? And are adults or children more at risk of getting them. More on risks and causes here....
Do you know how to spot a wart? Learn the signs and symptoms of warts located on the feet, plus when you should seek medical help for a plantar wart....