Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

Tests to diagnose upper middle abdomen pain

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I have been having upper/middle abdomen pain for about a month now. It started after I had an UTI and was taking antibiotics. Don't know if it's related to the UTI at all, just seemed weird that it started around the same time. The pain is more achy and crampy than sharp. More like a burning sensation. Mostly in the upper area between rib cage but sometimes more around the belly button area and towards the left. It feels better when I eat something. My doctor thinks it could be acid reflux and gave me Protonix to try for 10 days. There is no change with the Protonix (day 8). I also have, ever since I've been young (I'm 35 now), problems with constipation. I go about every other day, sometimes every 3 days, depends. I am going back to the doctor and want her to run some tests, because I really don't think it's acid reflux. What could this be? Should I request more tests to be done?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2010
Abdominal Pain Answer A15034
Hi and welcome to the forum! I am glad that I can help you.

You want to know the cause of the symptoms that you experience.

Pain in the upper middle abdomen may appear due to acid reflux, gastritis or gastric ulcers. The pain in all three medical conditions may be described as a burning sensation. In gastric reflux additional symptoms such as burping, regurgitation or frequent pneumonias may appear. In gastritis the pain can subside after eating or may increase while consuming acidic or spicy food. In cases of gastric ulcers, individuals may be vomiting blood, a condition which can be fatal if not treated fast and properly.

According to the data that you described, you experience pain in the upper middle abdomen. You may need to have a serological test to exclude possible infection with H.pylori. You may also need to have an upper GI to exclude possible acid reflux. A gastroscopy to exclude gastritis or ulcer may be necessary as well.

Please keep in mind that I provide medical information only. I am not able to diagnose medical conditions online. Please contact your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider such as a gastroenterologist for further advice and information about diagnosis and treatment options.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.