Medical Questions > Womens Health > Menstruation Forum

Testing for oligomenorrhea

User Profile
I am having a prblm regarding irregular cycles.usually my circle is 40 to 45 dayz.bt these dayz this become so delay as i got my periods on 18th june bt its 31august today and i did not get periods.i took two medicines, "progeston and oestogen" and doctors u will get the periods after a week. bt now its been 15dayz that i had these medicines. is it something serious.please help me as i am very tensed. i am getting married on 11dec,2009.my age is 23yrs.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 7th, 2009
Menstruation Answer A7208

Given the information you provided (menstrual cycle length 40-45 days, last menstrual period still missing, pimples on face), it is possible that you might be experiencing oligomenorrhea. Oligomenorrhea is a condition in which menstrual cycles are longer than 35 days. It might be caused by a number of different conditions, most of which influence the menstrual cycle length through hormonal level changes.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, stress, anxiety, certain glandular tumors, chronic illnesses, and poor nutrition might all be responsible for a hormonal imbalance.

You might want to visit a gynecologist for a physical examination and hormonal laboratory tests, which might confirm a hormonal imbalance. Additional tests might be needed (pelvic and abdominal ultrasound scan, for example) to determine the exact cause.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.