Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

Testicular Ultrasound, exactly what happens during procedure?

I finally had my testicular ultrasound today in an emergency room after weeks of not being able to get any office appointment to get my testicles checked over by a Dr. after a testicular torsion crisis. I should have gone in right away to an emergency room, since they are the ones to treat this emergency the best and the fastest.

I explained to two receptionists my problem. Got into an exam room right away. Nurses, Dr., techs saw me right away. Undress and put on two of those terrible hospital gowns one facing front, one facing back to cover both sides up completely. Dr. exams my scrotum and testicles and cords. I walk to ultrasound room for the ultrasound. I lay down on an exam bed with both hospital gowns on and covering me. I get assigned to a young female utlrasound tech who is very careful, considerate, and professional, almost shy, more embarrassed about this whole thing than me. She is more modest than me about just lifting enough of the bottom of the hospital gown to access my scrotum and testicles. The rest of me stays covered for the whole ultrasound exam. We talk the whole time, its just that one tech and me in small testing room. She keeps me covered while she asks me to cover my penis with a thick towel and pull it up toward my chest to hold my penis out of the way of the two tesicles while she does the ultrasound exam on them. She was so careful, she never even saw my penis uncovered or whether it was hard or soft at all. I held the towel in place and up on my penis to hold it out of the way for her during the whole exam.

She puts warmed liquid gel on my whole scrotum to remove any air bubbles and to get a clearer ultrasound picture and sound through the gel. Then she puts a small plastic box, which is a little larger than a bar of soap, on my scrotum and starts slowly moving it around to get a picture of everything inside my scrotum, testicles, cords, and all. No strange feelings or vibrations at all. Just a small plastic box held and slowly gliding over my scrotum and held for longer times over different parts of each testicle. Both testicles get the ultrasound, to compare the two and to check for any problems in either one. I get to see the computer screen showing everything. It looks like shadows of different shades and colors showing everything inside my scrotum. I even get to hear the sounds of the blood circulating inside each testicle and inside the arteries in the two bundles of the cords suspending the testis inside my scrotum. I hear a whooshing sound at each heart beat. The whole thing took maybe 30 minutes to complete.

I'm so lucky, no permanent damage and both testicles and their cords seem to be fine and unharmed. Probably due to me and my Navy medic buddy trying everything we could think of in our medical training to keep the blood circulation going to my testicles during the torsion crisis. Hot showers, heat, warm loose clothes, checking the vital signs for adequate blood circulation to my testicles, checking for pain and feeling inside each testicle and the cords, and trying to keep the blood circulation going to both testicles the entire time.

I should have just rushed into the nearest emergency room right away. Anyway, our medical training kept my blood circulation high enough to avoid any damage, death, or harm for one whole very long day of my left testicle being torqued up and hanging all wrong and crooked and aching a little. I never had the really intense pain in the testicles that a full torsion and loss of all circulation usually causes. I guess I started early enough to prevent and head off a full torsion and the loss of all circulation.

Ultrasound is the primary way to see inside your tesicles and see what's wrong and how to fix any problems. Don't be the least afraid to get it done if you have any testicle problems or scrotum problems. Its so easy and no pain or hassles at all.

Good luck to all of you men and boys who need this. Don't wait, don't be embarrassed at all. Get help right away to save your testicles from dying due to loss of blood circulation, and save your future fatherhood if you have any testicle troubles.

Everyone at the different Dr.'s offices, clinics, and emergency room that I went to seeking help were all very kind and professional and even talking to all of the male and female medical personnel was not embarrassing or awkward at all with me so worried about losing my testicle to dying from lack of blood flow when my testicle cords got so wound up tight like a spring and my testicle was hanging all wrong.

This testicle ultrasound test is so easy and quick to do to save your testicles and to keep you able to become a father when you want to make babies with your testicles. Don't hestiate to get help. Just go to the emergency room right away for help.

If your blood circulation gets cut off completely, you need emergency surgery right away to untwist your testicle cords and save your testicles from dying from lack of blood flow.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied March 26th, 2015
Experienced User
I just got my ultrasound evaluation results back from the radiologists office that has the experts who look over the completed ultrasound images and study them in detail after the ultrasound is completed.

Some good news and some bad news. My testicles are both alive and have great blood flow and circulation. Bad news is I have some definite problems in my left testicle and left cords.

Time to see more Dr.s and see what's next. Shoot and here I thought I was in the clear and now this news of problems for sure.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...