User Profile
Hi, i'm 19 and over the past 3 months i have been experiencing a sort of ache in both of my testicles, primarily my left it seems but occasionally my right. It started a couple of days after lifting weights but i have been checked for hernia's with no signs of them. I have gotten an ultrasound with the results saying that there is small hydroceles and mild thickening of the scrotal wall. The doctors said that this is probably not the cause of the problem and this is normal. Ultimately both urologist said my testicles look fine and cannot put a finger on why they hurt. However, there is still an ache there. One of the urologist said it could be caused by masturbation, but i don't know. I masturbate about 5 times a week and he said to cut down on that. Another said it could be pelvic pain syndrome. I have read something about kidney stones or the prostate am curious if that is the problem. What i ask is what can be the problem given the lack of physical evidence and what to do from here?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Mens Conditions Answer A4149
Judging by the therapy you’ve been receiving (antibiotics), doctors probably assumed that your testicular pain is caused by an infection. An infection of the testicle, epididymis, or prostate can cause those symptoms. Sperm and urine analyses are required to confirm or exclude infection. Inflamed hydrocela can also be the source of pain. That thickened scrotal wall can be due to an inflammation that can also cause pain.

Excessive masturbation can cause testicular pain but I am not sure if 5 times per week is excessive. You may stop masturbating for a while to see if the pain calms down.
Certain kidney disorders (stones, infections) can cause testicular pain and the opposite is true as well– testicular disorders can cause kidney pain.

You may continue with the antibiotics as prescribed and you may also take a non-opiate painkiller (NSAID) to relieve the pain.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Mens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.