Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

Testicular pain (especially after smoking) (Page 1)

Hello, I'm 18 years old. When I was 16 I began having pain in my left testicle, sometimes quite severe. Throughout the years I have noticed that whenever I smoke marijuana the pain becomes extremely severe. Sometimes to the point where I'm on the floor writhing in pain. Because of this I have obviously cut back greatly on my pot smoking, but do tend to sometimes smoke a small amount as the pain increase is somewhat bearable if I only smoke a little, though it still can get quite painful.

Other things such as heavy lifting or ejaculation usually causes the pain to significantly increase. I've gone to many doctors and gotten many different diagnoses. My latest urologist told me that I had varicoceles on my left testicle and that that may be the culprit. After doing some extensive research it seemed to make sense.

I had surgery to remove these varicoceles a bit over a month ago and it did not help with the pain whatsoever. I'm starting to get really desperate and can't seem to find anyone that can help me! I've also been told that I have a few cysts on both my right and left testicle but I'm not sure if that could cause this severe pain. Is there any information on some sort of testicular illness that gets significantly more painful after smoking marijuana? I've spent the past 2 years doing research pretty much anytime I have some spare time and I just can't seem to find any help. It's been negatively affecting my life and I am just desperate to find some sort of solution for this problem of mine.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper dyrimm311
|

replied October 12th, 2010
Hi.

I too have been having a problem kind of like the one you described well exactly like the one you described. Mine has been going on for a few years and i have been going to the doctors a lot latly for it to get this fixed. first they treated me for epidytimitis with doxacilin i believe and that did not work. then i got blood work done came back like i was a normal healthy person. went to the urologist a couple weeks ago he checked my prostate and gave me an exam on my testicles didn't feel anything out of the ordinary so he thinks that maybe i have a pinched nerve in my lumbar region because that can cause testicular pain.

So soon i will be going to get either a cat scan or a x-ray of my lower back and see if that may be the issue its been like 3 years since i have smoked marijuana because of this and i used to smoke all the time and want to atleast be able to every once in a while.

If you have found anything out about your condition post back on this and i will do the same maybe we can figure this out because the issues you have sound identicle oh and a couple things

1.) do you smoke ciggarettes?
2.) do you have sinus issues? (just asking because i do)
3.) and when you don't smoke marijuana is it a dull aching in testicles that radiates to lower back and increases and deacreases in pain threw out the day?
|

replied November 25th, 2010
Hello, sorry for the late reply. I hope you still read this.

Yes I do smoke cigarettes. I used to have sinus issues as a child but not really anymore.
My pain does increase and decrease in pain throughout the day but mine doesnt radiate to my lower back, it actually radiates through my left leg; mostly the thigh region(the pain is also in the left testicle, that may be why).

My current urologist says that my best chance is to completely remove the epididymis, but he doesn't want me to go through with it seeing as it wont be guaranteed that it will get rid of my pain. I'm currently trying to set up an appointment with anohter urologist so I can get a second opinion. Let me know how everything went and please keep updating me on any new information. I'll try and do the same.
|

replied February 9th, 2017
you are the doc!!
hi,
have been suffering testicular ache for about 3 years... had some experience to share. examine myself constantly over this time
- this has not been apparent in a day..has come up increasingly over time and disturbing last 6 months..
and pain CERTAINLY increases by smoking..
( guess sensitivity increases, when sensitivity increases everything becomes effective chewing gum, cold whether even the way you sit (squeezing) MAY also affect, confectionery also increases, ohh by the way coffee also affects,
but none of these are more effective than smoking)
if you only drink coffee nothing may happen..but is you only smoke this may feel like your balls are tearing apart..)
don't smoke for about a month has not come up once.....
this made me think that we all have a toxicity level of our body and body responds.. when actively smoking and smoke after 3-4 cigs. ache becomes active...
when leave smoking for a month then become smoking after 8-10 cigs. ache becomes active..
so my friend the good news is I guess the body cleans itself slowly ...
and the bad news is you should change your life and diet..quit smoking..
your body warns you..
don't forget you are the doc.
|

replied November 28th, 2010
the only help Ive found for my testicle pain
I to suffer from severe pain in the testicles my dr said it was epidytimitis after a couple of ER visits convinced I had cancer because it runs in my family. I smoke cigs have horrible sinus issues almost year round and used to smoke heavily too. The latter now not really an issue my dr told me I could choose between it and pain meds for other issues.. Even being on heavy narcotics do not stop my testicle pain and it can double me over from time to time. The ONLY thing I have found to actually seem to help with this is taking some kind of anti inflammatory usually a large dose of naproxen upon onset and a few hours later it starts to subside. Aleve is the over the counter version of this and usually between 500 to 1000mg dose will help but be sure to take it with food or milk most have stomach issues from the dosage without it. Hope this helps your problem I do know how bad it can get since even being on morphine hasn't helped mine at all. Its not even something you really feel comfortable about talking to people about because they wouldn't understand anyway without going through it themselves. I have read countless articles about this some say an athletic supporter might help (empty jock strap) but who really wants to be forced to wearing one of those all the time. My pain issues with it are never consistent anyway but seem to be worse in the summertime however just two days ago I found myself having to take the naproxen again because Thanksgiving dinner with my family became another attack that made me miserable and not good company for a family event. After about two hours it started to subside but still mild throbbing pain for 5 or 6 hours later until the second dose. Good luck and I hope it gives you some relief too.
|

replied December 2nd, 2010
Prostatatis (testicular pain, occasional lower back pain)
hey all dont know if anyone still reads this. i struggled with this for 3 years. i used to be a big head (helps a ton when i get depressed, i prefer it to taking a bunch of meds) but like both of you had to stop anytime i smoked. over 3 years i saw probably 15 doctors 3 or so of which were urologists. they suggested epidytimus but seemed not to take it too seriosly prescribing docycycline and naproxen. finally a couple weeks ago i went to the emergency room. they sent me to a urologist who sent me to a more specalized urologist who felt he knew what i had. it sounds to me like both of you may have it too. it is called prostatitis, some sort of bacterial infection that causes inflammation of the prostate. i have been in treatment for a month or so with a very good doctor in tucson arizona. i go three times a week or so. he is one of the chief specalists in the US, patients have come from every states and hundreds of countries to be treated by him. so far as i know he is the only doctor in the country who takes the course of treatment he takes. prostatatis is not too well understood but he gave me one book on it. you may be able to find it online. it is called the prostatitis syndromes by Bradley R. Hennenfent, MD. he told me the doctor who wrote this book was an emergency room doctor whos father had he condition for 27 years or something like that. it really is horrible and it seems like an ugly thing to talk about "my balls hurt like hell" you know. no one really understands what your going through. i was skeptical about the treatment because it is somewhat unpleasant but with the cultures he took he isolated 3 bacteria and as he suspected i have prostatitis. i didn't have health insurance for the longest time (im 21 years old) so this was a big thing, i got all messed up on opiates, finally got off them and now i actually get prescribed them. funny how that works. anyhow i would say go see a urologist and ask them about prostatitis. a lot of doctors dont seem to understand it or what causes it but it seems like my doctor and whoever wrote this book understand it. he says he has an %80 rate of complete cure and 96% or so of at least getting rid of the pain. again the treatments are somewhat unpleasant but if you all are going through the same thing i went through i would take semi painful treatments 3 times a week anyday over a life of drug dependance and despair cause your nads are killing you. if you dont have money for treatment the book i have suggests one herb called saw palmetto that is supposed to greatly help. you can get it at health food stores. maybe give that a try. id imagine its better for your body than taking 5 aleve a day (which i also used to do) or drinking to kill the pain.
|

replied January 3rd, 2011
Hmm that sounds interesting. I'd love to hear how that went. I hope you check back and reply. What kind of treatment is it? How exactly is it unpleasant? I just ordered some saw palmetto online and we'll see how that goes. I'll try to talking to my urologist about Prostatitis as well.
|

replied July 21st, 2011
Testicle pain from smoking ganja
I have had this same problem since i was about 16, and I have visited multiple urologists, been diagnosed with varicocele on my left side, taken medications all to no avail. One doctor suggested i also had epididymitis, but tests proved otherwise. I am 20 years old now and smoke lots of pot daily and it still causes me pain to this day, but I have found a strategy/technique that i use sometimes that drastically reduces the pain, and I believe through practice it can become easier to perform the technique to hopefully one day end my/our pain!

It involves visualization of bright white light energy. While performing the exercise I have no pain and it seems to have residual effects which eliminate the severity of the pain even after i perform the exercise(s).

I will not got into detail on this forum but PLEASE PM me and I will be happy to share with anyone who is interested in the information I have come across. Even if you do not smoke pot, I would still recommend these exercises if you are having pain.
|

replied February 20th, 2012
aching testicles
hey buddy what is your bright light treatment?
|

replied October 18th, 2011
Hey guys thought i would chime in here. I had the EXACT same symptoms as you guys experiencing this. What i found out was that it is directly related to sciatica or sciatic nerve pain. I had this problem after my varsity year in high school i pinched a nerve somehow in my lowerback and started experiencing lowerback/down the leg pain/numbness. The lowerback pain also affected my testicles at first i didnt really think anything of it but i noticed that when i smoked up i started experiencing SEVERE testicular pain. I consulted my doctor and he told me i had SCIATICA problems and that i may have a slipped disk or something due to playing football. Turns out i did.

Long story short to reduce pain you gotta WALK as much as possible. Dont run as the weight forcing down on your lower spine can cause more uncomfort. Just walk regularly and avoid sitting down at the computer for long periods of time. If you are overweight it is imperative you stay as active as possible to allow the lowerback to decompress.
|

replied December 10th, 2011
Wow, this is crazy. I've been having testicular pain after smoking, and I always assumed that it was all in my head, since I have huge amount of anxiety anyway, and before this I've thought that all sorts of bad things were happening when I smoked.

Anyway, it looks like there are three things here that could be the cause: a Varicocele, Prostatitis, or a slipped disk.

Now, here's my question, from what I hear, if you tell your doctor that you smoke, they might treat you like some sort of drug addict, and it'll be on your medical record forever. So, what can I say that'll be basically the same as saying "it hurts when I smoke," but without ruining my medical life forever?
|

replied December 13th, 2011
Hernia?
Did you guys get a CT scan? i had a Very similar problem and my urologist had me do a CT scan to eliminate the possibility of a small hernia, which in some cases can cause pain in the testicle. It turned out to be a varicocele, but you should definitely get checked for a hernia. Sometimes they cant detect them by the "turn and cough" method if they are small
|

replied June 14th, 2012
Went to the doctor for testicular pain that I started noticing after I was smoking and masturbating, turns out I had a torsion of the appendix testis. Basically there is a vestigal appendage in over 50% of all males, located on the testicles. It can cause pain and swelling and goes away usually within a week. Not very serious at all. But like you all, I had pain within the testicle

Anyway, from what I've been seeing all across the internet, I've self-hypothesized what the reason. I could totally be wrong, but check it out.

When you smoke weed it increases your heart rate, which in turn increases blood pressure. When you have issues that deal with inflamation or infection or something of the nature, the increased blood flow to the inflamation will cause it to flare up and cause more pain, swelling, etc. I've noticed this not only with my testicular inflamation, but also other infections that I've had at all different parts of my body. My friend who had epididymitis had the same happen to him, so I'm almost positive this is what's causing the pain; the increased bloodflow.

Basically, until the problem is sorted out, it's going to hurt when you smoke weed. So chill for a little bit with the ganja, and resolve the issue at hand.

Again, this is just my hypothesis based on the minimal information I've accumulated through biology, anatomy, and physiology classes that I've taken over the years and all the weed that I've smoked. I could be completely wrong on this one, but it seems to make sense to me.

And if it's just all in our heads, looks like I found a good way to trick myself into not feeling any pain Razz
|

replied June 22nd, 2012
Hey Ziggy,

If my experience is any indicator, you're not far off. Back in December I started experiencing a dull pain in one of my testes, which in turn felt somehow link by pain to the upper leg on the same side. Months later we finally figured out that I had a varicoscele, and just underwent surgery to help correct it a few weeks ago.

The thing is, the dull pain surfaced not long after my marijuana use became more regular. While it does not appear that smoking caused my varicoscele (they are supposedly congenital), I have a feeling it might have been what brought it to light. As time went on I eventually got very pronounced swelling and a noticeable pain when I smoked large quantities, and at the very least some swelling when I smoked at all.

Marijuana is a vasodialator (the opposite of a vasoconstrictor, like caffeine), which basically means that it widens your veins and increases blood flow. I eventually smoked after surgery and experienced less swelling, but enough ominous tingling that I've decided to take a break from smoking and give it a try in a month or so once things have healed and calmed down some. I will definitely smoke in much smaller quantities in the future, if I continue at all. If it's any additional indication, my wound (they went in in my lower abdoment and essentially rerouted flow away from the affected vein) would swell if I smoked as well.

Point is, I've done a lot of searching and, as best I can tell, no hard research has been done on the correlation. None of my doctors have been at all committal about the connection (I've been up front about the situation from day 1), but they've all at least admitted that it was a possibility. In any case, if you are experiencing pain when smoking, give the smoking a rest for a bit. I've smoked here or there for years, but the issue only surface when it became habitual. My advice would be to let things calm down, and if you still want to smoke, take care with the quantity and frequency. And for the love of god, stay away from hash. I swear I was swollen for a week.
|

replied October 12th, 2012
Pain in nuts Arafat smokeing weed
Hello I have just hade this pain in my nuts since yesterday rafts smokeing some weed only took 3 puffs, I hade very servier pain and agent to a&e who sent me to a urologist who said I have gotto take some pain killers and inclination tables which will tackle care of the problem, I am still in pain today and not sure if this is going to work? I haven't hade any scans as the doctor just said it coz I smoked some weed. He did t really seem to care to much and sent me home with loads of tablets, if any1 can help me to overcome this I would be very great full
|

replied August 5th, 2013
exact same problem!
It's amazing to see that i'm not the only one with the same problem. I too have had problems with smoking weed and my left testicle varicocele. Even after my operation to block off the affected veins, the pain has resurfaced and has ruined the experience of weed for me. I have come to realise that smoking in small quantities makes the pain bearable, but when smoking lots every night i find myself curled up in a ball of pain. I used to think it was my altered state of consciousness that convinced me of the pain, but reading this thread has allowed reality to take over.

If anyone has found an answer to our problem, please let me know! I have been experiencing the same pain for 2 years now. Im always afraid that eventually the blood flow to my left testicle will cut of forever. The pain has also spread to my left leg and on really bad days i have had a bit of a limp

Please reply on this thread if you have any answers!
Thanks
|

replied August 5th, 2013
It's amazing to see that i'm not the only one with the same problem. I too have had problems with smoking weed and my left testicle varicocele. Even after my operation to block off the affected veins, the pain has resurfaced and has ruined the experience of weed for me. I have come to realise that smoking in small quantities makes the pain bearable, but when smoking lots every night i find myself curled up in a ball of pain. I used to think it was my altered state of consciousness that convinced me of the pain, but reading this thread has allowed reality to take over.

If anyone has found an answer to our problem, please let me know! I have been experiencing the same pain for 2 years now. Im always afraid that eventually the blood flow to my left testicle will cut of forever. The pain has also spread to my left leg and on really bad days i have had a bit of a limp

Please reply on this thread if you have any answers!
Thanks
|

replied January 5th, 2014
Is there a solution?
So.. The answer is No weed No pain?

Is there Chance I can do anything to Smoke without Pain?
|

replied January 13th, 2014
I've been trying to put my finger on what i have been experiencing aswell ,i quit smoking (weed) because i couldn't deal with the pain , went to a urologist and he told me that my left varicocele wasn't causing my leg pain.I can't stand it when i smoke its the most annoying dull pain, in the bone it feels. I can't take my mind off of it. also i have been experiencing lower back pain everyday for a month , a massage helped but it was short lived. To add on to all of that , i have been experiencing a weak stream when making my water for quite some time (20 years of age now) always drips to a stop. i did however ride a lot of BMX throughout the years but this has caused me to put it on hold. I'm going to the doctor again this Thursday but he doesn't seem to want to help. I neeeed a fix so desperate miss my life
|

replied March 10th, 2014
pain in balls
I have all of these same problems! mine was brought on by a case of "blue balls" which seemed to go away after I masturbated but the pain returned just moments after sitting down at the computer. just like the guy up top says, the pain stops when I walk or move around. So I am thinking sciatica. my doctor says its Epididymitis and should clear up in a few days. I want to go and see several doctors not just one. reading about how you guys have lived with this pain for years has really just convinced me that maybe I should have the affected ball removed. I would rather have one ball than live in pain everyday. they always hurt but it gets worse after marijuana. so I have very much slowed down with it. I hope to goodness that all of you are pain free today. I am not. If anyone has found a cure please reply and let me know or feel free to call 404-839-9802. ask for jerry.
|

replied April 12th, 2014
Amazing pain relief I found

Hey everyone its been a long time since I posted about my testicular pain I went through a lot of stuff and just gave up. I delt with the pain for so long now and I am going to start going to the doctors again its just so discouraging. But I decided to post about an herb I came across its called kratom it is so incredible for the pain it has literally been a life saver for me imo it works better and longer then painkillers like percocet and it makes you feel almost identicle because it affects your opiate receptor's it has little addiction potential unless you have been useing it for months everyday. And even then the withdrawl is mild a few days ofit being hard to get to sleep. I don't know if I can name sights but just google depot and kratom. The strain you want is any red strain kratom but the best for pain relieving is bali and the strongest strain is maeng da. Im not affiliated with any site im just trying to help this stuff has made my life so much easier. Its pretty cheap so under 15$ you can get a ounce of bali and see if it helps you can buy it in capsule form and powdered herb don't get the capsules get the powder capsules dont break down good. This is how I take the powder get swiss miss hot chocolate from like wal mart and you can either boil a cup of water or just nuke a cup of water in the microwave then just add a tablespoon of the herb to the water and then add the hot chocolate and mix. The hot chocolate does really good with helping mask the taste and texture. Make sure the first time you try it make sure your on an empty stomach just so you can really see how powerful this is. Hope this helps people because it has helped my so much

Pain relieving dose for kratom 5-10 grams everyone is different tho.

Tablespoon=4.5 - 5 grams

Another thing if you got put on opiates for this testicular pain and have been on them a while there is cross tolerance so it will probably take more like 10 grams of kratom. And if you are looking to get off opiates kratom helps tremendously with withdrawl symptoms.

I really hope thus helps someone the way it hss helped me. Like I said going back to the doctors again soon so I will keep checking back. I wush everyone luck!
|

replied April 12th, 2014
Amazing pain relief I found

Hey everyone its been a long time since I posted about my testicular pain I went through a lot of stuff and just gave up. I delt with the pain for so long now and I am going to start going to the doctors again its just so discouraging. But I decided to post about an herb I came across its called kratom it is so incredible for the pain it has literally been a life saver for me imo it works better and longer then painkillers like percocet and it makes you feel almost identicle because it affects your opiate receptor's it has little addiction potential unless you have been useing it for months everyday. And even then the withdrawl is mild a few days ofit being hard to get to sleep. I don't know if I can name sights but just google depot and kratom. The strain you want is any red strain kratom but the best for pain relieving is bali and the strongest strain is maeng da. Im not affiliated with any site im just trying to help this stuff has made my life so much easier. Its pretty cheap so under 15$ you can get a ounce of bali and see if it helps you can buy it in capsule form and powdered herb don't get the capsules get the powder capsules dont break down good. This is how I take the powder get swiss miss hot chocolate from like wal mart and you can either boil a cup of water or just nuke a cup of water in the microwave then just add a tablespoon of the herb to the water and then add the hot chocolate and mix. The hot chocolate does really good with helping mask the taste and texture. Make sure the first time you try it make sure your on an empty stomach just so you can really see how powerful this is. Hope this helps people because it has helped my so much

Pain relieving dose for kratom 5-10 grams everyone is different tho.

Tablespoon=4.5 - 5 grams

Another thing if you got put on opiates for this testicular pain and have been on them a while there is cross tolerance so it will probably take more like 10 grams of kratom. And if you are looking to get off opiates kratom helps tremendously with withdrawl symptoms.

I really hope thus helps someone the way it hss helped me. Like I said going back to the doctors again soon so I will keep checking back. I wush everyone luck!
|
Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...