Medical Questions > Mens Health > Testicles Forum

Testicle twisted or turned?

Hello
22 year old guy with possible twisted testicle here.

About a week ago, I am 90% sure I twisted (rotated) my testicle 180 degrees. I was lying on my back while my girlfriend was pleasing me. I had my pants pulled up all the way to my scrotum, so my left testicle was basically laying horizontal. I was confused, panicked a bit and tried to turn it myself, about seconds before I ejaculated. I felt very much pain after that was done, and lied on the floor for about an hour, with intense pain in the scrotum. I went to the emergency 2 hours after that happened, because I thought I had Testicle Torsion. I was there for 3 hours, had ultrasound (no signs of torsion), urine test (results no STD), a doctor took a look at me - and then I was sent home. They didn't know what happened but thought that the torsion had fixed by itself. The pain was about 8/10 at first, but was 4/10 when i came home, 5 painkillers later.

Four days after my first visit, it was so bad that I went back to the emergency with severe pain in the left testicle. Had been awake the whole night. Blood tests came out good, heart rate and blood pressure normal. Another ultrasound check was made where nothing abnormal was detected, just a little bit swollen testicle (still the same size as the other one). Doctors say it's likely Epididymis, so they gave me antibiotics.
I have now been taking the antibiotics for 4 days and nothing has changed.

Pain is still the same, sometimes its really bad and sometimes its mildly bad - but it's alway pretty bad and I feel sour and numb in the left testicle. It hangs a bit higher than the right one and just seems like its not in the right place.

Deep down, I am pretty sure that my testicle is turned backwards, upside-down or 180 degrees... Don't know how to describe but it kinda looks like it as well. After what I have read, stuff like this happens, despite what my doctor says about it.

What is wrong with the testicle, why and how does this happen, and what can I do about this?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 23rd, 2018
Hello and welcome to ehealth forum, I have read your question and would like to help you w8th your question

Testicular torsion was a possibility and you rightly went to medical facility to get an ultrasound as it is an emergency and needs prompt attention, if ultrasound rules it out and several days have passed you dont have to worry about about torsion.

Infection is also a possibility, it can be orchitis ,prostatitis or epididmytis. Continue the antibiotic course hopefully it will settle down.
Your pain could also be due to inflammation or damage that happened due to twisting.

Keep an eye if it changes colour or temperature.

Left testicle usually hangs a bit lower than right so don't worry about that

Hopefully it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care
Dr Khalil
|

replied December 23rd, 2018
Experienced User
I have intermittent testicular torsion. This is where the testicles can twist into torsion at any time and then untwist at any time.

If the torsion reduces the blood flow in and out of a testicle, it can cause damage or kill the testicle if the blood flow is affected long enough and enough blood is not getting fresh oxygen to the cells inside each testicle.

A man or boy can have testicular torsion that will not untwist without emergency surgery to cut open the scrotum to untwist the testicles. Or they can have testicular torsions that untwist by themselves by the time drs look at it and do tests.

It depends on how tightly a testicle s spermatic cords, the tubes each testicle hangs down from inside your scrotum, get twisted, how much blood circulation is blocked off, and for how long that determines how damaged or strangled the testicles get from being twisted. The longer the testicle stays twisted, the more likely the testicle will be damaged or die from lack of blood and oxygen.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Mumps is still common in many parts of the world. But what is the mumps? And what parts of the body can it affect? Basic facts on mumps here....
Although children are most at risk of getting the mumps, other groups are also at risk. Learn more about the mumps virus and risk factors for mumps here....
Swollen salivary glands are the first sign that you might have the mumps. But what other symptoms can you identify? And when should you seek medical help?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Testicles , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.