User Profile
Are my blood results normal?

I was recently tested twice for RA and gout both test negative. I was advised that my platelets were high on both tests, 645 + 660, HB 15.6 on both tests. RBC 540 + 542, HCT 0.46 + 0.47. Im always tired, short of breath, cold hands and fingers, random stabbing pains or pins and needles and itch like mad when I get out of the bath.
Anyone else have similar symptoms and have been given a diagnosis?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 30th, 2013
Blood Disorders Answer A44080
Welcome to e health forum.

The description of your history (though is very brief) is indicative of possible conditions including - Raynaud's syndrome or erythromelalgia,

A feeling of cold in the hands and/or feet - or sensitivity to the cold - is a feature of Raynaud's syndrome, which is a disease associated with acute spasms of the blood vessels resulting in interuption of the blood circulation, and hence presenting with symptoms in the extremities (Fingers, toes, and occasionally nose and ears).

Raynaud's is a condition seen on its own, but also shows up as a "secondary" disease alongside other autoimmune diseases, including Hashimoto's disease, Graves' disease, lupus, Sjgren's Syndrome, scleroderma, and rheumatoid arthritis, among others.

Elevated platelet count, also called thrombocytosis - can result in abnormal activation of platelets in the blood vessels causing thrombosis (intravascular blood clotting)

This can result in reduced blood circulation and present with symptoms including - redness, pain, and warmth in the extremities. This pain is described as erythromelalgia,and it is usually precipitated by warmth or dependent position- and relieved by cooling the extremities.

The underlying cause of erythromelalgia can include - myeloproliferative disorders, viral infections, medications or of unknown causes. In most adults, the cause is unknown. Other conditions include - systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), HIV infection, diabetes mellitus, venous insufficiency, astrocytoma, rheumatoid arthritis, and gout.

The best way forward would be to seek a consultation with a hematologist, who can do some further diagnostic tests and advice you accordingly.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.