I live in Thailand. Today I went to a clinic to check for a rash - the doctor told me that it is herpes - he suggested an HIV test. I was so shocked when told that I am HIV+ He told me to make an appointment for counseling and treatment at a local hospital. I am scheduled to go to the hospital this coming monday. He also told me that if I take medication I will live a long a productive life - is he right or just trying to make me feel better. I am scared and worry - what will the doctor do at the hospital on Monday? I've been browsing the internet getting loads of info regarding AIDS/HIV symptoms... other than this rash that I'm having now (Come to think about it.. I've had these mosquito bite like red dots for at least 6 months) I've been very healthy and leads a normal and active life.... so I think the skin rash is one of the symptom of HIV infected person... Do I have AIDS or HIV... what's the different? Will the doctor prescribe medication? What is the medicine called? The doctor at the clinic told me that Thai Government subsidised medication for HIV making it inexpensive to get. I am 48 year of age. Your replies will be much appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2010
Community Volunteer
HIV is what you have when you have enough T cells to fight the virus.AIDS is when you start to get ill or cant fight common viruses..The doctor is right.You can live as long and healthy as anyone as long as you take your meds and take care of yourself.
|

Thank you for your reply - you're saying most likely I have AIDS as I have these skin herpes because my body can't fight common viruses? I guess I will know that on Monday won't I? You also said in a different thread that once you have AIDS you always have AIDS even when you T-cell count is very high - what do you mean by this? Does is mean that my body will never be able to fight the simplest type of virus even my t-cell count is as much as that of a HIV-neg person?

I have so many questions but I will wait until I see the doctor at the hospital on Monday.

It is now Sunday morning - I slept well last night but woke up at 5 am and cried a little bit. I know I have no one to blame for this but myself.

Again thank you for taking your time to reply.
|

i hope everything goes okay man.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....