Medical Questions > Womens Health > Infertility Forum

test result is normal or abnormal?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
User Profile
Please advise in this regard whether the following test result is normal or abnormal, if it is abnormal what should I do to overcome these problems.

Physical Examination:
Volume = 3.0 ml
Colour = Grey White
Viscosity = Thick

Microscopic Examination
Active = 05%
Sluggish = 05%
Dead = 90%

Normal = 10%
Abnormal = 90%

Sperm Count = 10 mill/ml
RBCs = Nil
Pus Cells = 04---06

waiting for your response


Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied January 19th, 2012
Infertility Answer A30583
Welcome to ehealthforum.
The semen analysis report as provided by you suggests abnormal results. The concentration of spermatozoa should be at least 20 million per ml. Less counts usually indicate possibility of obstruction or infection. It takes about 20 minutes for normal semen to liquefy. The liquefaction time measures this time needed for semen to liquefy. Abnormally long liquefaction time indicates infection. In a normal ejaculate, at least 75% of the spermatozoa should be alive (it is normal to have up to 25% of sperms as dead). Dead sperms could indicate possibility of high acidity or obstruction or infection. In a normal ejaculate, at least 30-40 per cent of the spermatozoa should be in normal shape and form. Abnormal sperms may not be able to swim well or penetrate the egg to fertilize it. Presence of white blood cells in ejaculate is not normal. It indicates infection. The WBC counts in the semen analysis report if high, indicate infection. Have diet with foods rich in zinc content to ensure better maturation of egg and sperms. Consider visiting an Andrologist/urologist for further evaluation and assistance.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infertility , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.